Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Apr 2009 15:52:03 -0400
From:         Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Learning Electricity Part Two
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

At 12:23 PM 4/5/2009, David Beierl wrote... >First, I learned electricity in the '50s. Yes, >I know I was only eight...<shrug>. The Systeme >Internationale did not exist prior to 1960 and >wasn't taught to the trade until long after;

How very hypocritical of you to further a discussion of SI units for electricity after asking me not to (in pmail - "please -- let's leave SI out of it...this stuff is scary enough as it is..."). But, since you have, metrology is one of my hobbies, and it irks me when someone gets it wrong.

Technically the Systeme Internationale started in 1960, because that year saw a change in name, but the basis for international electrical standards existed long before.

The coulomb, going back to its first definition by the 1st IEC in 1881, has always been a derived unit. The British Association for the Advancement of Science at Edinburgh in 1892, defined the ampere as that unvarying current that would deposit 0.001 118 000 grams of silver per second from a solution of silver nitrate in water. The coulomb was derived from this, being the amount of charge delivered by 1 ampere in 1 second.

By the 1950's, the ampere was included in the International System of Electric and Magnetic Units as a fundamental unit of electricity. In 1950, the ampere was defined by US Law as a fundamental unit, and the same law shows that the coulomb is a derivation. (15 USC Sec. 223) http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t13t16+988+1++

The 9th CGPM (1948) adopted the ampere for the unit of electric current, following a definition proposed by the CIPM (1946, Resolution 2), the same definition which is used in the SI: "The ampere is that constant current which, if maintained in two straight parallel conductors of infinite length, of negligible circular cross-section, and placed 1 metre apart in vacuum, would produce between these conductors a force equal to 2 x 10–7 newton per metre of length." - source BIPM, http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/si_brochure_8_en.pdf

That definition of the ampere became an official base unit of the "mks" system, along with the kelvin and the candela, at the 10th CGPM, in 1954. The "mksA" system then went on to be renamed as the SI in 1960.