Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:04:04 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dremel, was Re: Best Way To Remove
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

If getting the decal off is a hassle, go to the nearest 3M auto parts store that sells body repair supplies and get a 3M Roloc Pinstripe removal tool. It's a 1/4" shank that chucks up in your electric drill and you'll get a choice of a 4" diameter model or a 6". The removal tool is a set of floppy plastic discs that get pretty stiff when they spin at full drill speed. They basically burnish off trhe decal/ pinstriping/ bumper stickers/ window decals. Alsdo great for removing contact cement from surfaces. Just keep the unit moving so one section doesn;t get too warm. This is one of the greatest tools I've ever used. Last one iI bought was around $14. Replacement plastic discs are less than that if you already have the Roloc chuck from another project. Srry, but I do not have a part number within reach.

DM&FS

At 04:03 PM 4/6/2009, David Beierl wrote: >At 01:44 AM 4/6/2009, neil N wrote: >>Loren. If you've got a Dremel, I wonder if there's an attachment >>similar to the "rubber disk" that would work? > >Disclosure: I absolutely love the Dremel tool. I have two, and when >most of my tools got shipped off to Maine and I was flirting with >mental hospitals I made sure that they both stayed. So don't think >I'm sneering at it down below, just being realistic. It's made for >very small work, and it's an expensive tool to run if you don't think >in quarter-inches. And the manufacturer has a tendency to bite off >more than the tool can realistically chew. In particular it and its >attachments are not rigid enough for some things they want it to >do. That said... > > >Something the size of a Westfalia decal would be an enormous job for >a Dremel, and it wouldn't do it well because it spins too fast. For >that sort of thing a half inch by quarter inch would be more in scale >to the tool. > >For appearance work of any size at all, Dremel burs, stones, sanding >drums, polishing wheels etc are all so small that it's very difficult >to produce a fair surface without waves and dips -- even polishing, >which after centuries of uncertainty has been proved to be >essentially very delicate grinding. With the speed and small >area/radius contact patch all these will dig like crazy given the >slightest excuse. Their sharpening attachment might be ok for >lawnmower blades -- in a pinch. But it's really too small for that >except in a pinch and I certainly wouldn't use it for anything else I >cared about because there's no way to get a fair edge. NOTE: I've >never used their chain-saw attachment, but it probably works just >fine, since the stone doesn't traverse the edge but merely profiles >it to its own shape. > >Some of my thoughts about Dremel stuff, on the scale that I use them, >i.e. not tiny delicate modelmaking but general household/shop/automotive.: > >For relative economy in use -- sanding disks, sanding drums, thin >non-reinforced cutting wheels, diamond points if not from Dremel. If >used very lightly and kept moving, the cutting wheels can be used on >edge (strictly against instructions) for surface removal. > >For flagrant expense in use -- small grinding points/stones, saws >except maybe in balsa, steel burs, probably others. > >For no reason to exist -- "heavy duty" nonreinforced cutoff >wheels. They're not much stronger than the thin ones, i.e. not at >all; and cut half as fast and much hotter because the kerf is twice >as wide. When they do burst the fragments are heavier. > >For utter scariness -- saws and planer attachment. Router attachment >is as scary as any router, i.e. about half as scary as saws and >planer. Circle cutter different kind of scary, you think the tool >will come apart from vibration. > >For (comparatively) large work -- planer attachment. Hard to make a >straight line, but will take an eighth-inch off the bottom of a door >amazingly quickly. Sabre-saw ("jig-saw") attachment. Sanding >drums. Router attachment. > >For Vanagons -- Above everything, cutoff wheels, both >kinds. Right-angle attachment and/or flex shaft to get the cutoff >wheel to where you need it securely/safely. Large carbide burs/bits >and diamond points. Haven't tried it, but the sabre-saw attachment >might be wonderful for small sheetmetal cuts and such. > >For safety -- thin non-reinforced cutoff wheels. If they grab in the >cut they just shatter, and the pieces are too light to bother you or >go far. Right-angle attachment. Flex shaft. > >For irritation -- thin non-reinforced cutoff wheels. Set the tool >down and turn around, turn back and the disk will be busted. > >For piece of crap -- plunge router attachment. Not nearly stiff enough. > >For marginal -- "imitation Roto-Zip" attachment. Tool isn't stiff >enough so the bit wanders and vibrates. Lots Worse if you use it >with the circle-cutter jig. Router attachment, marginal stiffness -- >but it's darn useful for putting quick 1/8" roundovers on edges of >plywood and such, and way easier to handle than even a small >router. Ditto for router table. Steel bits only, no bearing on pilot. > >For futility -- using Roto-Zip drill bits that cost a quarter of the >Dremel ones. They don't cut, just burn. Must be opposite-hand >rotation or black magic -- they don't look a lot different. But >anyway, if you need to do Roto-Zip work more than one or two holes a >year get a Roto-Zip. > >Need to have -- variable speed tool, carbide burs, diamond points >(note that diamond dissolves in hot steel), thin non-reinforced >cutoff wheels, reinforced cutoff wheels, sanding drums, stones and >dressing stick for truing before first use and subsequently. You can >tell when a stone is getting close to true because the tool will >speed up! Truing can be frustrating because of resonances between >tool and stone and dressing stick, tool not stiff enough >really. Brass and steel brushes, note they're limited to half-speed >(15,000 rpm). Cratex-type rubber abrasive points and wheels, >half-speed or less. Polishing wheel and points, rouge. > >Really really want to have -- right-angle attachment -- sounds like >it's tearing itself apart but it isn't, and gives much better/safer >angle for many things. Flex-shaft. > >Really nice -- sabre-saw attachment -- capable and easy to handle, >uses standard blades; 1/16" tile degrouting bit in flex-shaft (solid >carbide, costs twelve bucks, don't drop the shaft or the bit will >snap :-( ). Probably good in their degrouting attachment, too. > >David