Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Apr 2009 18:58:24 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dremel, was Re: Best Way To Remove
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

They're made for cutting plastic! ;-) That's what's written on the package. I just noticed they were made of carbon-type material and figured I could carefully cut through metals ... which has proven to be true .... going slowly. I imagine that cutting the aluminum angled pieces I have left in this project, will be comparatively like going through butter.

Dremel EZ Lock (EZ476) It is a "package" of 5 and comes with the EZ Lock device that lets you pull a small spring-loaded barrel, which releases outward pressure on the disc, rotate/remove the disc, put a new one in, release the barrel and you're ready to go again. The disc goes onto the barrel, is twisted 90 degrees and has some small notches that the barrel snaps into when it's released. Outward pressure from the barrel holds the disc in place. My guess is that if you tried overworking this on steel, it would twist the disc off of the center metal attachment it comes with. I went through 2 of these on this project. 1 1/2" discs. They are carbon .... look liker a high priced bicycle frame material, minus the polished finish. The label on the package that the shop (hobby/model-building) shows DREEZ476 on it. $10.75 for the 5 + the EZ Lock tool/device.

Ya, I was "kidding" about putting that 3M tool in a dremel, just the reference to the rotational mass of the dremel vs that of the drill with the tool on it, is what makes the huge difference of the effectiveness of the 3M tool, plus that softish rubber. A real breeze getting those decals off. IIRC, there was some sort of "prep liquid" that helped soften the decal first, but I think that's referenced when you go to the marine/hardware/auto-paint store to purchase it anyway.