Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Apr 2009 07:06:53 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: expensive-sounding clacking noise, happy birthday to me
Comments: To: Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski <kpcnsk@YAHOO.COM>

Now for your present, your van is probably fine. Vanagons like to be driven. When you don't drive them they complain. One of their special ways is lifter noise on start up. This has to do with the horizontal opposed engine but even the in line engines VW made in this time period had problems with the hydraulic lifters bleeding down when sitting. Sometimes it is worse if the van is on a certain angle. I have had customers call me up frantic about this noise, wanting to have their vans towed here for me to look at it because the motor was making this horrendous racket and they were sure that it was a rod knock or something equally as sinister. I told them to check their old level (keep it between the marks on the oil dip stick not too much and not too little). Then drive the van for about 30 mins and call me back. Every time they would call back and say that the "death rattle" had magically gone away. If you are only driving short hops (like a mile or less) this doesn't give the engine time to warm up or do anything. If you do this every day, you will eventually run into this problem. I would suggest saving the van for trips to town and riding a bike a mile to work unless you have to haul heavy equipment with you. It will not only save gas (I don't believe in human created Global Warming) but you will also save your van wear and tear because driving only short distances is harder on an engine and exhaust system than driving 15 mins. Drive your van every day and drive it at least 15 mins and it will be happy and last the longest.

Have a great Birthday!

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski wrote: > I had an expensive-sounding clacking noise start up on the engine > today. The noise is a repetitive clack which increases in frequency as > the engine rpms increase. RPMs don't seem to affect volume or pitch. > The noise can be heard inside from the driver's seat very clearly, and > is louder outside the car. It seems to be located behind the > transmission but in front of the pulleys. Also, it is very loud when > underneath the van engine compartment. The noise seems to be located > in the engine. > > The noise started when I left work today and drove about a mile home. > When I heard the noise, I gently drove to the house. When I drove to > work today, the noise wasn't present. > > When I got home, the noise starts up each time. I noticed that I had > taken off the oil-filler cap and not replaced it, so it was off for > the 2 miles roundtrip today. Fortunately, it was still sitting on my > rear bumper when I got home, so I replaced it, but still the clacking. > > Fearing something valve or pushrod related, I pulled the valve covers > off to inspect the heads. Nothing seemed amiss, but on the driver > side, a fair bit of oil poured out after I removed the valve cover. > None pored out the passenger side valve cover. I couldn't tell much > more than that, but I'm no expert. Right now I'm looking for advice > on how to diagnose the problem. > > Thanks for your thoughts, > > Jarrett Kupcinski > 89 Westfalia >