Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:22:49 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine Rebuild Questions
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

Robert, my typical rebuilt head rant:

If you have the cash or you think you are going to keep the van for any length of time I would highly recommend replacing the heads with new ones unless the old ones look awesome. Rebuilt ones are crap and I would highly discourage using them. The original ones had problems with pitting that the new AMC (Spanish) ones that we sell don’t seem to have. Also the OE heads had problem areas where they like to crack around the head nuts. The new AMC heads are thicker in this area and I have never had one crack in this area (I have had several OE heads crack in this area though). I use the AMC heads right off of the shelf with no modifications. There are those out there that say they do a better job on the heads by installing other valves, etc. I can only share that I have installed over fifty sets of these over the years and I have never had one single problem with them, right out of the box. I feel that replacing the valves with other aftermarket valves is not beneficial and should be done at the customer’s own risk. Keep the valves that the manufacturer put in there. They are the ones that have the warranty and they don’t want warranty claims. Just my advice on this.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Robert Stewart wrote: > Good Monday to everyone, > > I have a local engine rebuilder working on my 2.1 Automatic engine > which had roughly 250,000 miles on it. > > He informed my heads needed to be replaced. I could clearly see the > space between the two valves having a indentation bridging them and > the surface areas were very badly pitted. > > I planned on purchasing a set of rebuilt heads from Van-Cafe, anyone > think this a good or bad idea? > Anyone used them before? Have any feedback? > > Secondly is there anything regarding the rebuild that is a must to > replace component wise since he has it all apart? > i.e. sleeves, pistons, camshaft etc... > > I am awaiting a final parts list from him now but want to be sure I am > not missing anything. > > Before he rebuilds it he is going to be cleaning all the parts in a > special bath then glass bead blasting the non sensitive parts. > > Also how long should a standard rebuild take? i.e. 7-21 days? or is it > something that can be done in a 40 hour work week? > What kind of price should I expect? > He told me it would be roughly $1500 dollars. > He said he would be check to see if the camshaft needed to be reground > and would check all valves etc. His shop only does rebuilds but of > mostly race car engines and big truck engines so I trust he knows what > he is talking about. He is not a VW guy at all he just knows engines. > I did give him the Bentley just to be safe though. > > Any advice would be appreciated. > > Thanks, > > Robert > NY >