Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Apr 2009 07:28:25 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: rear hatch struts
Comments: cc: dj <djct2@YAHOO.COM>

> I need to buy new rear hatch struts for an 86 Vanagon we are > fixing up. Gowesty says they have the right combo but I also see > others for less. Any advice?

The original VW configuration (which is also what GoWesty is selling as their "combo") called for a weaker left-hand strut and a stronger right-hand one. This design probably has a lot to do with why they failed so often. While we do offer this, most people opt to get a pair of stronger right-hand side ones. That configuration makes it a bit harder to lower the hatch (although not unacceptably so, unless you're very petite), but it does away with hatch sag pretty much forever. This has been a commonly recommended "upgrade" on the Vanagon List for a long time.

I would not recommend replacing just one side. The new one will have to support an inordinate proportion of the weight, as the old one is almost certainly weak from age. This causes it to wear prematurely. As a result you end up having to replace them more frequently, one by one, versus if you just replaced the pair and got it over with.

The various aftermarket versions do not necessarily have the same pressure at the stock ones, so performance and durability can vary. I'm not sure what GoWesty sells because they don't say, but ours are the good German ones (and are cheaper than GoWesty charges). They run $19.95 each (or $18.95 with your list discount if your total order exceeds $50).

Left side: <http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=251829331B>

Right side (or both sides): <http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=251829332>

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT