Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Apr 2009 12:49:21 -0600
From:         vanagonvw <vanagonvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Catalytics

I will try to be brief :-) 81 Vanagon. I rebuilt the top end, and now have to get it broken in and past the emissions test. The van doesn't have, and isn't required to use, a catalytic, and the test results were always way below the allowed numbers. It needed a tweak on the CO adjust now and then, but it was never a problem getting through the test. There is no EGR, and the original heater boxes/exhaust has no connection for EGR.

I am concerned about getting the engine broken in in time to pass the emissions test before the temp registration expires and makes my life miserable. To me, the simplest solution is to install a Cat, and then it will almost assuredly pass.

The problem is, the exhaust system is an aftermarket type, kind of like the cheap one on bus depot and other vendors, and there is no place for a cat, that could be called ideal. So, I need a cat that is shorter than the ones I have found. A perfect fit would be one that is 8" from flange to flange, and then I could rig it in, and the tail pipe would still exit just under the corner of the rear bumper. Longer just means it may or may not work.

So, after all that, what length cats do you guys have on yours? Anyone know of a source for shorter ones that would make things so much easier? Not any vans around here to look at or measure.

I am thinking that I would use the cat to get it past the test, then pull it off and once broken in well, have it adjusted as best as possible, because no matter how much I try, I think I will find that hanging the cat and the muffler will be a jury rig, and not really conducive to long term abuse. Not much to hang it on under there.

Whew!! Long way to a short question. If anyone has seen or knows of a cat shorter than a foot long, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,

John