Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:05:52 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: "Whump whump" noise from front RH side.
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

New tire or not - a tread beginning to loosen up will also cause a whump-whump-whump. Just happened on a lady friends Oldsmobile.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

neil N wrote: > Hi all. > > Apologies in advance for such a long post. > > Problem: > > Turning left in circles, parking lot speed, driver window open, > passenger closed, I hear a subtle but audible and consistent "whump > whump whump..." from RH front. No noise turning circles in other > direction or driving at highway/city speeds. > > Didn't notice sound before I replaced a bunch of front end parts > (basically everything but upper control arm bushings and steering rack > and steering relay box) > > Prior to my work, new Yoko Y370's installed on "new" used 14" steel > wheels. A subtle vibration felt 50-60 MPH. Wheels rebalanced 2x. At > that time, was told (and saw) that at least one of the wheels fairly > out of round. One of my old wheels was swapped for the most out of > round wheel. But, new used rim still on RH front wheel. Vibration > remained at that time, but seems to be gone with the new parts I > installed. i.e. vibration could have been there before and/or was > exacperated due to worn front end parts. > > Could this sound indicate an out of round wheel? If not, what else > should I look for? > > Wheel bearings installed/adjusted on the bench and vehicle, but will > check bearing adjustments again though I doubt that is the issue. > Aside from slight drift to right at highway speeds, (I had to swap in > a used tie rod, fix radius arm hole, etc.) vehicle drives fine with no > other sounds or issues. > > Thanks much for any sage advice, > > Neil. > > -- > Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines > > >