Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Apr 2009 07:50:59 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: gfci outlet buzzes with inverter

The powered AC receptacle is "floating," which means that it doesn't know, or care, about chassis ground or earth-earth. David's right -- neither the hot nor the neutral wire is referenced to ground. They don't know about the chassis of the van, they don't care, they are not interested in going there.

There may be some eentsy leakage through the inverter, which has one side of its 12V input tied to chassis, but the resistance of that path will (or darn should) be of such high impedance that were you to lay your tongue onto the AC's hot or neutral wire ("or" is an operative word here, laying one's tongue /across/ the two wires would cause a cosmic experience) while grasping an unpainted part of the van's chassis, you should be in no risk of electrocution.

To test this theory: from the inverter's hot wire, connect a 1,500 ohm resistor to chassis and measure the AV voltage across that resistor.* The resistor simulates the conductivity of your body and is sufficiently low so that it will bleed down the trivial leakage (if any) within the inverter. If the voltage across that resistor is greater than 0.7 volts, then the power at the receptacle carries the risk of electrocution and should be treated with the same degree of respect as a household outlet. Repeat this test on the neutral side of the inverter's outlet.

Note that if you were to do this test on a household outlet, the hot side would read your 120 VAC household voltage, while the neutral side would read essentially nothing because in a properly-wired house, even without the leakdown resistor, the neutral side is meant to be at the same potential as earth/ground so no volts there. But the output of the inverter, as David said, is not referenced to ground so you want to check the neutral side in your van, too.

If neither the hot nor neutral show any significant voltage across the resistor then one could consider going on to the holding of the guitar while putting your lips on the microphone test. Me, I'd not be worried about doing that as long as I knew that the van was not connected to any shore power, and not even if a wire from the chassis of the van was dangling into a puddle on the ground. But I'm not advising you to do that because it would really mess up my day if I got a call from your widow's attorney referencing this message.

W/r/t GFI buzzing -- you're not feeding it a nice smooth sine wave, but one with steps. It's gonna buzz. I doubt it would do anything useful with the floating output of the inverter, because a GFI compares the "send" current (call it the hot wire) with the "return" current (say, the neutral) and as long as everything going into the load (your toaster) is also returning out of it, then it's happy. But when your puppy knocks that toaster into the bathtub, some of the send current will NOT be returning where it should but will rather be going through whoever is in the tub to earth/ground. This imbalance of send and return currents will cause the GFI to shut off power.

In the van, though, the current really doesn't want to go the earth/ground/chassis, so you could pitch the toaster into the tub and the send current would/should return right back to the neutral wire like good little electrons do. So the GFI would never pop. But and always in matters of safety, I urge that you proceed carefully before doing a full-scale test. In other words, use a mother in law before checking it on yourself, is my advice.

=========== * This is a standard load for testing for leakage current from AC-powered appliances. You'll also want to use a true-rms reading meter because the output of an inverter is not a sine wave. More details about this at the bottom of http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/safety.htm for more information.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano Bend, OR KG6RCR