Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:27:38 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cross Country Travel Tips Wanted
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

See below... Oregon to Ohio in an '82 Diesel Westy:

On Apr 10, 2009, at 9:37 AM, Robert Stewart wrote:

> Best Routes to Travel: i.e. > Best Highways to see the most unique sites? > Route 66?

We took US 40. The Lincoln Highway. The 1st transcontinental road.

> Places to sleep during the trip across: i.e. > - free and paid camping locations, > - parking lot parking options i.e. walmart, > - Truck stop showering options and costs > - best low cost hotels.

Flying J parking lots. Always felt safe and there's coffee and a shower waiting in the morning. Breakfast too if you're lazy. We spent a couple nights in highway rest areas. Highway rest areas are NOT a safe place to sleep. See the website dedicated to late Type2 listmember Kristin Laurite <http://www.kristinlaurite.org/>

> Best Places to Shower: i.e. > - KOA Camp Grounds > - State Campgrounds > - Truck Stops > etc.

See above. We stayed one night in a state campground. Flying J. Going camping and traveling are two quite different things. Listmember's driveways are good too.

> Best Places to Wash Up while on the road: i.e. > You sleep in the van the night before in a parking lot, have to brush > your teeth, wash your face and shave. > - Walmart Bathroom > - Target Bathroom > - Rest Stop Bathroom > - Small Hotel > - In the van with a wash basin > etc..

Westy wash basin. Baby wipes.

> Safety when traveling: > - parking and sleeping in the van issues > - tinting window for safety > - keeping the curtains up when you are not around the van, good idea > or bad? > - covering the stuff you have in the van with blankets, good idea or > bad? > - best places to park for safety when sleeping either in a parking > lot, side road, etc.. > - items to keep in the van for first aid > - items to keep in the van for protection, i.e. bat

We typically did not pop the top. We did fully curtain the Westy when sleeping. For safety, we loved the truck stops. Lisa says that she wished that she had a white noise generator though.

First aid: we carry an Industrial First Aid kit. About a 10x14x2 metal box with everything except drugs. Looked it up. Johnson & Johnson 8161 Replace plastic band-aids with cloth.

We had "protection items." 1.) Misfit. An 80# German Shepherd mix. 2.) other items that would (if history is any guide) provoke a hissy fit on the list. I'll choose to not evoke Ben and David's wrath for starting a flame-fest.

> Temperatures in different areas of the country: > - how much did it vary? > - were you ever cold? > - cold sleeping in the van?

It was the middle of summer. It was hot and dry and hot and muggy. Not much change in temperature.

> If you slept in the Van Did you bring a mattress pad? i.e. > - Memory Foam pad to put in the rear of the van to make it more > comfortable?

No.

> How many hours a day did you drive?

10 hrs? Whatever felt right.

> Did you drive a long distance each day or take a couple days off here > and there?

We were traveling to a wedding so were on a schedule. We were 'traveling' for two weeks. There were places that we wanted to visit that we didn't. We'll catch them next time.

> What the critical maintenance you did to the Van before the trip? > i.e. > - Spark plugs > - Oil Change > - Oil Filter > - Change the front disc pads > - New Coolant > - Tranny fluid change > etc..

My Westy is continually maintained. I changed the oil and filters. (They were due.)

> What were the critical upgrades if any before the trip? > i.e. headlight upgrade to see better?

None.

> What kind of issues did you keep a watch on the van while driving? > i.e. > - coolant > - oil > - fuel lines > - belts > - tire pressure

All of the above. It's part of owning and maintaining your vehicle.

> What extra parts or supplies did you bring in case something went > wrong with the van? i.e. > - Belts > - Coolant > - Plugs > - Oil Filter > - Misc Tools

Fuses. A bit of fuel line. A belt or two. A couple quarts of motor oil. You have 'coolant' in the Westy water tank. If you need to replace an oil filter at the side of the road, you have serious problems.

> Most important tools to bring?

Your brain. I typically carry enough tools to fix what can easily be fixed at the side of the road. Experience (or the lack thereof) will determine what's best for you. Some feel that a AAA card, a credit card and a cell phone are all the tools they need. Works for them. Wouldn't work for me.

> Best places to visit in each area? > i.e. Sedona AZ- Go visit the Energy Vortex's > > Best things to do activity wise in each area? > i.e. Go scuba diving or snorkling in Key West FL > > Best places to eat in each area?

Yeah, right. I'm answering an email. To answer that would require a book. That's what guide books are for. In Oregon, find a copy of "Oregon For The Curious." Best food? Well, I'm partial to the fish sandwich at Pt. Loma Seafood. Ditto Rubios fish tacos. The lobster in Ensenada BC was pretty good too. Mahi-mahi Almondine at the Cotton Patch on Midway in San Diego was to die for. Your tastes might be different. <smile>

> How long should a journey from East to West take to really see the > sites as well? > i.e. 1 Month at the minimum?

About month longer that we have. If I had a month, I'd need two. If I had a year, I'd *need* thirteen months... You get the idea.

> Looking forward to hearing from all of your collective experiences... > > Robert > NY

You're welcome.

Jim & Lisa Union OR WetWesties.org