Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:47:23 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Trying To Understand Tie rod Adjustments

Hi all.

In partially rebuilding my '81 Westy front end, I:

- swapped out lower control arms, one tie rod, and a radius arm. - transferred # of turns form old tie rod to new. Double checked by measuring from inner end of threads to face of new tie rod adjusting nut with calipers. - transferred inner nut position from old damaged radius rod to new one.

Prior to work, it tracked straight. Now it drifts to the right. Not drastically, but at highway speeds I let go of the wheel, it starts drifting at end of 1 second count.

I understand toe in. Front portion of each tire points in a *little* like snow plow skiing. What I don't get is if one tire can be straight, and another pointing in or out.

Could drift be due to a tie rod being too "long" thus positioning a wheel in or out when compared to the other wheel? If so, is this a separate alignment parameter?

In my case, is the goal is to get each wheel straight, then adjust toe in. Am I on the right track?

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines