Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Apr 2009 00:43:46 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trying To Understand Tie rod Adjustments
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Look at it this way.

Start with the steering wheel perfectly centered - now lock it in that position - they really don't lock the steering wheel but it does stay centered during adjustment.

Now consider each wheel as though it were independent of the other.

If both wheels were pointing absolutely straight ahead you would have zero toe-in.

If the right were pointing straight ahead and the left were pointing slightly in you would have zero toe-in on the right side and some toe-in on the left, expressed in degrees of angle.

Also, if the left was pointing in & the right was pointing out, you'd have some toe-in on the left side and some toe-out on the right side.

Then you have a third reading - total toe-in - which represents a sum of the left and right side. You could be toed out on the left side, toed in on the right side and be within the total toe-in in spec. In this case, you would be driving down the road with the steering wheel cranked over to the right to make up the difference.

If the front-end guy is careful he will check that the steering wheel stays centered during the adjustment process - you may see him reach in the car and re-center the steering wheel as he makes adjustments. If you leave the front-end shop with the steering wheel off to one side or the other, you need to immediately return and complain because the mechanic let the steering wheel drift off from center during adjustment.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com http://www.kegkits.com/JABF/ 256-656-1924

-----Original Message----- From: neil N [mailto:musomuso@gmail.com] Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2009 12:28 AM To: Tom Hargrave Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Trying To Understand Tie rod Adjustments

2009/4/11 Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net>: > The measurements are taken with the steering wheel centered and all readings > are referencing center. > > You could actually have one wheel toed in and the other toed out with a net > toe-in of 0. >

Ah ok. So if I'm understanding this correctly, that would mean:

wheels parallel to each other, but pointing "equally" slightly to the right or left?

So then am I misunderstanding toe measurement?

Toe in/out is difference between:

measurement taken at same inner point of trailing portion of each wheel and

measurement taken at same inner point of leading edge of each wheel?

What I see in my minds eye, is one wheel straight, one pointing to right or left.

i.e. :

| \

Or is that impossible?

Sorry for not getting this. I just evades me!

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engine s

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.557 / Virus Database: 270.11.52/2053 - Release Date: 4/10/2009 6:27 PM

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.557 / Virus Database: 270.11.52/2053 - Release Date: 4/10/2009 6:27 PM