Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Apr 2009 14:12:22 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trying To Understand Tie rod Adjustments
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

re If I-wheel 0*, R-wheel toe out, physics of steering system and vehicle motion, "forces" front of vehicle to drive straight, but with a "net sum" of toe out and steering wheel off center."

you got it, that's what I was trying to get across to you. tell me........ is your goal to get it aligned well enough just to drive to a real alignment shop, or to get it really pretty close and use it that way ?

Despite naysayers..........with enough cleverness and patience and determination..... you can get it pretty good. the castor is the really weird one .....way trickier, but toe and camber......you can get those pretty close.

about what is 'good' or not ..... here're my standards ....... the van goes striaght by itself , no pulling or drifting either left or right. the steering wheel is centered going striaght down the road. toe, camber, and castor all check out pretty close or right on. the tires do not wear quickly, or wear in funny patterns, like cuping. the tires do not squeal early or easily in hard cornering. tire temps are fairly even across the tread, and about the same left to right in the front. and the tires last a long time, and handling is predicitable, etc.

if it does all that, and there's no play or slop or wear anywhere...... it's pretty close to right on.

and .......here's the other thing guys......and gals....... some alignment shops and many professional techs are not really trustworhty or competent.

I've had a woman bring me a mercedes car with a mile of tie rod end slop on a front tie rod ........ having just spent 60 bucks on an alignemt - a pure and total rip off ........akin to stealing her 60 bucks.

I've read about a guy coming out of a shop after an alignment and noticing that the steering wheel isn't straight going down the road anymore, ( and it was before this aligment ) .........the shop tells him it's not adjustable and it's that way due to the crown of the road that causes cars to drift right, and they compensate for that in their adjustments .......... there's some of the later factor sometimes, or was, when raods where more crowned 40 years ago ......but the first part is utter BS. Centering the steering wheel is fundamental to a correct front end alignment.

you can do far, far,.........well SOME PEOPLE.................... can do far, far better than a typical sloppy shop by doing their own work. have fun !

Neil....... re your castor adjustment . Do this ...........the idea is to compare both sides, left and right, and to see if they are pretty equal. first turn the steering full right, as far as it will go. you'll notice the right front tire is tilted out quite a bit - or should be. If you use a carpenter's level and a small ruler to measure that ( at the wheel rim edge ) you'll see the tire leans out about 2 inches.

then go measure the left front, and you should find it leans in just a little ( left front tire leans in a little at full right lock ) , like half inch maybe.

then turn full left, and measure both wheels/tires again. you should find the LF tilted way out, like two inches, and the RF tilted in just a bit, like half inch max. If they match left to right........and it's roughly as I've described .....your castor is about right.

if your RF tire never leans out much at full right lock............for example say, .........work on that via the big nuts on the strut rod for the RF wheel..... but it gets complicated and tricky, so try to just keep those adjusted where they were as much as possible.

I just had to do the same 'whole job' on the front end of an 83 Westy I have for sale. The hole in the body wasn't worn out like yours was, so I was able to pretty much put things right back where they were ( after putting in new rubber bushings ) and it came out darn close on the castor.

for drifting to one side, after confirming the castor meansurements are about like they should be ...... then check camber ....... also...........if you just swear all adjustments are pretty right, and it still drifts or pulls to one side, try swapping the front tires .

FIRE warning .....I just picked up a nice 87 GL with not-too-bad fire damgae in the right rear. No rust, and no dents either. New windshield even. it even has a rebult trans that cost the owner $ 1,500 US plus $ 300 labor only 2 and a half years ago . And now he is vanaonless. So you know.........it's the ole not chekcking things on the engine ever ..... not paying attention to fuel hoses etc........... litterly not getting your nose into the engine compartment now and then. For lack of just checking things ...........they guy has a 3,000 dollar loss here, and no vanagon to drive.,

A serious fire suppression system in a vanagon engine compartment wouldn't be that bad an idea actually. A nice fat fire extinquisher under the back seat say, and nozzles aimed at the engine from all sides in the engine comparmtment. That might fix this 'seems to happen a lot' syndrome that vanagons seem to have .

scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil N" <musomuso@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:45 PM Subject: Re: Trying To Understand Tie rod Adjustments