Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Apr 2009 14:20:17 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another DIfferent Rear Brake Question: Kink in centerbore of
              drum
Comments: To: BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>

well.......... the 'real' right way to turn rear drums would be with them mounted on the flange , but that's not practical.

The drums center firmly .....a tight fit, like they get stuck together there sometimes the fit is so exact......... they center on the flange via the hole in the center of the drum.

if that's off.........you know. I've also done this sometimes to check the trueness of the drum inner surface as it's mounted on the flange , on the vanagon. Mount the drum on the flange backwards..... so it sticks out, and then rotate it by hand, and use some reference point......... say a screw driver clamped to a jack stand , so you can see the trueness of the surface as you turn the drum by hand.

I don't know the spec off the top of my head.......but I'd think 10 thousands out of true would be pretty excessive.

another factor to keep in mind .......the remachined surface of a turned brake drum. there's a spec for that too...........it can't be too smooth or too rough. I had a VW Bug pull badly after having front drums turned once........drove me nutty .......finally someone discovered that they final 'smoother cut' had been done on one front drum, but not the other one, and that's why it pulled badly under braking. Point is, the surface matters too, not just that it's perfectly round and true. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "BenT Syncro" <syncro@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:48 PM Subject: Another DIfferent Rear Brake Question: Kink in centerbore of drum