Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:55:35 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Differences between 82 and 83 turn signals?
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Problem found and solved, sort of...

I did as mark directed and discovered that I could not make the led light come on even when jumpering from ground to the flasher as he said. Hmmm. Then it occurred to me that since I had tested the LED and the value of the resistor in line to it and carefully examined the foil circuit previously, and the indicator still would not work, then I figured the problem must lie in the connector. With the instrument cluster in the car, I reached behind the 14-pin connector and shifted it while the key was on and the signal lever was turned. The signals came on! If the connected is seated, they won't work. The connector must be pulled out very, very slightly and then the connection is made. All other leds and instruments seem to be working fine. I will pull the cluster again and try to determine what the problem is in the connector. If I can't find or fix it, I now know I can run a wire patch around the connection and it will work. For the time being, if the finicky connector will hold its position, I have a turn signal indicator for the first time in about three years. Now there is nothing on the car that doesn't work (probably shouldn't have said that!)

Thanks for your help, Mark and Dave.

Jim

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM, mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > Leave the fuses OUT while doing all of this. > > Yes, the 4 way flasher switch is the emergency flasher switch. > > > Mark > > > > Jim Felder wrote: >> >> See below, then my question... >> >> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 2:56 PM, mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: >>> >>> Jim, something else to try. >>> >>> With everything otherwise connected as normal, pull fuses 9 and 11. >>> Now turn on the key and look at the turn indicator. Flip the turn signal >>> lever either way and the light should come on and stay on. Does it? >> >> No. >>> >>> Did the alt led and oil led come on and stay on during the above? >> >> Yes, as normal. >>> >>> If the turn led still did not come on but the other leds did, look at the >>> back of the 4 way flasher switch and find the black/white/green wires >>> that >>> attach to a point on the back of the switch. >> >> Is this the emergency flasher? Do I put the two fuses back in for this >> test, or leave them out? >> >> Now touch a jumper wire from >>> >>> metal ground to the metal where the black/white/green wires attach in the >>> connector on the back. With the key on the turn led should come on every >>> time you touch the grounded jumper to that lead of the switch connector. >>> Does it? >>> >>> You may want to nick the insulation to expose bare wire on one of the >>> black/white/green wires if you can't get contact to metal inside the back >>> of >>> the connector they go to. >> >> Thanks, let me hear from you on the above and I'll proceed. >> >> Jim >>> >>> Mark >>> >> >