Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:37:07 -0700
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Disc brake setup, info finally!

I would be willing to have the lot shipped to me and I would ship locally in US and Canada. The bigger the unit numbers the better. I can get good UPS rates with larger quantities.

dylan

________________________________ From: Raimund Feussner <ray@v6bus.de> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; insyncro@yahoo.com; gruengeist@GMAIL.COM; david@hasenwerk.ca; Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>; szpejankowski@gmail.com; neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>; finglasw@hotmail.com; Mike@mvboland.com; Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>; VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>; uther@dragonhome.org; mst@ak.net; mwmiller@cwnet.com; Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com>; mcperdue@GMAIL.COM; Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>; jeff@vickersdesign.com; dofunk@yahoo.com; magikvw@GMAIL.COM; dbeierl@attglobal.net; rangermorton1972@yahoo.com; Warren Lail <wklail@gmail.com>; jch@jchgis.com; David.Blackwell@activision.com; doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM; mwmiller@CWNET.COM; badkarma@ttlc.net; sandwichhead@gmail.com; h2oboxer@optonline.net; rgaudet33ca@hotmail.com; dimwittedmoose@cfu.net; psdooley@VERIZON.NET; insyncro@hotmail.com; vgonman@earthlink.net; hlzapata@gmail.com; BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>; jcarp2001@gmail.com; doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM; mwstebbins@yahoo.com; greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA; mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM; groups.florian@gmail.com; hlzapata@gmail.com; uncajoel@bellsouth.net; sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM; Kep Koeppel <koeppel.frederick@GENE.COM>; jcarp2001@gmail.com Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:10:56 PM Subject: Disc brake setup, info finally!

Hello List,

sorry for the delay, but a busy week didn?t leave me time to write a summary about the brake kit. I will try to answer every question that was asked via the list, and also add a summary of the available options including prices.

The front is available with 288mm or 312mm discs, both also available with drilled rotors. A 57mm single-piston caliper is used. This is not the system David Marshall is showing in his webpage. There are no mounting holes machined or enlarged (neither on the caliper, nor on the Vanagon), it is a simple bolt-on via adaptors. The hubs are stock Vanagon disc brakes, machined down to fit into the new rotor. In Germany, I include the hubs in the complete kit in exchange for the buyer?s old rotors. Since shipping hubs back and forth from Germany to North America is a bit expensive, I will not include these. You have to get your old rotors machined by a local shop/mechanic. The 288mm version needs at least 15" rims. The 312mm version definitely needs at least 16".

The rear setup is a 245mm solid rotor with a 38mm single-piston caliper (15" rims minimum). The emergency brake cable directly connects to the caliper, no brakepad-in-a-rotor. The hubs stay stock Vanagon, but also have to be machined to fit into the new rotor. This also is a direct bolt-on via adaptors. Included is also a pair of custom dust plates to sit right behind the new rotors.

I will also include 4 center rings for precise alignment of your wheels (66,5mm center bore) on the Vanagon.

For 2WDs, the wheel offset on the front will be changed circa 5mm on each side (the thickness of the rotor on the hub). For 4WDs 14", the wheel offset will be changed circa 4mm. The stock rotor is changed against the new one, plus a 4mm inner spacer underneath. 2WD and 4WD 14" rear, the wheel offset will be changed circa 2-3mm (new rotor is thicker than the old drum). Please be advised that longer wheel studs/bolts may become necessary and that your wheel arches might need modifications.

A kit for 4WDs 16" is not (yet?!) available. Neither front, nor rear..

There are no other major (irreversible) modifications to the Vanagon necessary. The Vanagon?s brake master cylinder and proportioning valve stay unchanged. When developing the setup I made sure that the donor Audi cars have the same front /rear balancing as the Vanagon (rear piston, master cylinder diameter etc).

All versions use the same adaptor kit, no matter if 4WD or 2WD, if 288mm or 312mm. Included is every single part EXCEPT the parts which have a VW/Audi part no (as stated above, no hubs included). These are available via VW, third-party dealer or junkyard. Even in the U.S., these are common german VW/Audi parts, no rare, expensive, super-special items. I will also prepare an instruction sheet in english.

Now for the price of the different deliveries:

Only front adaptor kit: US-$ 520 Only rear adaptor kit: US-$ 520 Complete front and rear kit: US-$ 950

Group purchase options for at least 5 sets: Front: $490 each Rear: $490 each Complete: $910 each

Group purchase options for at least 10 sets: Front: $450 Rear: $450 Complete: $860

These are better prices than I take in Germany, mainly because I don?t have to hassle with the hubs.

I think payment is best done via PayPal in two steps. The parts list, including all part-no.s of the needed VW/Audi parts, will be delivered after the first half of the payment is done. I will then order the parts of the kit and when shipping is ready, the second half of the payment will be done. I won?t spread the parts list before any payment. It?s not that I want to become a professional vendor, but I spent weeks and weeks of development and think I deserve a bit for this effort.. This brake is no space science, and capable mechanics can also develop the set. But if you don?t want to spend the money, please invest your own brains in such a project.

The list should be used to order, so you guys can see how many sets are REALLY going to be sold. That way you can be sure that I really give you the correct group discount.

Regarding shipping costs: I can?t give you a number now. It depends if I send the whole package to one address or every set to its respective buyer. We will have to work that out later. If any of the mentioned persons (busdepot, eurocampers, D.Marshall/Henning) would like to help out, this would be most appreciated!

Moderators, if you don?t want the list spammed with orders :-) I am willing to use another method...

Regards Raimund