Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:41:27 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine alternative (inline four) a bit long
Comments: To: Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@umich.edu>

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@umich.edu> wrote: > Don > > i also run a 1.8 digifant II engine in my van.  when i put the engine in > the golf that it came out of had 152,000 on the clock :).  i've been > running it in the van for about 6 years now.  another thing that you > didn't mention if you had considered is moving into the VW factory 2.0 > liter ABA engine.  while i haven't worked on this engine and fuel > management system it is very close to the digifant II it seems.  you want > to put the ABA in with the cross flow head although others have fitted the > ABA bottom end to a digifant II 1.8 liter head. > > beyond the ABA there is the 2.0 liter AEG engine series which is totally > different from the digifant II 1.8 and the 2.0 ABA.  i have the AEG in my > golf and it seems to be a good engine however install would be more > complicated and VW had a ring problem with those engines that caused them > to burn oil from day one. > > jonathan > > O

I'm running the stock OBD1 ABA 2.0/Motronic. With a better designed exhaust, it would likely perform better, but it performs just fine as is albeit with a little lack of torque in low end. I suspect it gets decent fuel efficiency. It ticks like a clock.

Don. If you go with the ABA/counter flow head setup, try to get an OBD1 ABA block. I have read that there are subtle differences in the head/springs. Check out this link for more details.

(some neat pics of head cut in half and shots of intake ports)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3875757

And if possible, get one with oil squirters. It's a myth AFAIK, that all OBD1 have this. You actually have to drop the pan and look, or cross-reference numbers (off the block?) with a pro manual of some kind. If you go with a stock ABA, again I'd suggest OBD1. It's simpler in terms of wiring IF you stuck with the Motronic. (likely you wouldn't)

My personal thought would be to stick with stock as much as possible. I'm sure you'd have enough fun rebuilding whatever engine with stock parts. Still, the SportTuned kit looks interesting. I imagine the cc gain is in the head/piston combo.

Any chance the SportTuned head would be a different enough dimension to interfere with the frame? (that has already been modified)

Neil. -- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines