Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:34:29 -0700
From:         Andrew Martin <campahvan@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: My van was aligned ...

I'd never take my van to a chain store for anything. When I lived on Boston's north shore I used an independent alignment shop for my 85 Westfalia and I was very satisfied.

John's Alignment and Repair, 37 Pearl Street, Gloucester MA 978-282-0055

John has been doing alignments for a very long time; he's very busy and does every job himself. I dropped my van off in at 7 in the morning and he called me mid day to say it was ready. When I arrived to pick my Westy up, John said he noticed that I had recently replaced the upper ball joints and tie rod ends and that he had confirmed that everything was tightened properly. He was satisfied with what he had done but suggested replacing the lower ball joints soon as the boots were split and dirt and water was getting in.

It was a year or so later that I ordered the lower ball joints but I didn't have the necessary press to install them. There are no Vanagon friendly shops in Gloucester but I showed the pieces to Baron of Baron's Auto Repair (2 Washington Street, Gloucester, MA (978) 281-2034). Baron's better known more for making fast cars even faster but I think he accepted the job because it was a bit out of the ordinary. He had them ready for me the next morning but mentioned he had to fabricate the adapters needed and they were the hardest thing he'd ever pressed out. At first he thought his 50 ton press was failing but after applying some heat to the knuckles the old ball joints finally eased out.

After reassembling the van, I took it back to John for realignment. Once again he took the van on schedule, he double checked all the fasteners, check the alignment, made whatever adjustment were necessary, confirmed that the steering wheel was straight and called me when it was ready.

After driving over 45K miles, my tires are all evenly worn and my van still tracks perfectly.

Andrew

Bainbridge Island WA