Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:42:10 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine alternative (inline four) a bit long
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

well that's pretty cool Don. thanks for the link to AutoTech Sport Tuning . looks like for $ 1,800 I can get up to 170 hp out of my 1.8 16V jetta engine, and for that money I get a new forged VW 2.0 liter crank, and a set of forged pistons, and new german main and rod bearings, and OE head gasket - what's not to like !? and some insturctions. the 170 hp is available if a Euro intake camshaft, and a sport tuned exhaust system. sure ............when I sell a few vanagons first. but what fun. they don't say anything about the fuel system on that site, that I noted yet. I wonder what they think of CIS-E fuel injection system for performance power.

Neil seems to have the nuances down of which engine to use for the best combo of OBD-I and 2.0 liters........and piston oil scquirters. my 1987 PL code 16 Valve engine has them - yippee !

Don, you're right about the price of these nice little engines - very reasonable. Darn durable too.......and with a 'real' headgasket and cast iron block. Pretty easy to work on generally too. And if they deliver better fuel economy than a waterboxer .............and it's still a VW engine - hey, why not ! Can't wait to get going on my 16V engine for my personal daily driver vanagon. ( hmmmm..........people are always wanting good used semi-fresh 2.1 waterboxer engines.......maybe I'll just sell the quite good and super reiiable 2.1 wbxr out of my 85 Wolfsburg Weekender .........and that'll get me moving on getting my 16V in there ! )

We'll just have to have our own niche of Inline Four Vangaon talk on here I guess. Must be a jillion of those engines in junkyards too. This could be the 'not that hard to do' VW-based not-all-that expensive Vanagon engine conversion that goes better, and gets better fuel milage.

and shoot..........now this means that instead of selling diesel vanagon engine mounting parts I hvae in stock, I need to save them for future conversions.

I always thought the timing belt on the 1.8 8V looks way small and wimpy. I was very pleased to see the 16V has a wider belt, and with rounded teeth on the belt, which last much better I think, than the earlier 'square block' teeth of the 8V timing belt. later ! scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 7:49 AM Subject: Engine alternative (inline four) a bit long