Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:09:44 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Faint sputter/stutter at 70mph
Comments: To: Tony Collins <tonycollin@GMAIL.COM>

air flow meter. I have no idea how good the rest of your engine is ....... if it's well maintained and in proper tune etc. but I have had cases of waterboxer engines that 'ran unevenly' ........ and it was from wear on the contacts inside the air flow meter.

'usually' that shows up at more moderate speeds though, say 35 to 40. At higher speeds, like 70 ..........unevenness gets 'smoothed' out, or so it seems, due to the higher aerodynamic load - it masks unevenness a little, but not plane ole loss of power of course.

there's such a thing as 'vanagon syndrome .....and you should have a small adapter harness on your AFM to prevent that.

If you haven't seen in your fuel filter ........checked for what's in there, and how restricted it is......... I'd check into that. There's usually resistance to checking that since it's such a messy toxic job, but it's like working on an electrical problem and never checking the fuses - a person sure feels dumb going nutty on a problem like that, when it was a fuse all along. Same is true for the fuel filter or filters - they need to be mostly decent.

fuel injectors - I sort of 'don't believe' in bad fuel injectors, but of course after all these years they can be pretty tired. I just had this case of fuel filter and injector problems on a vanagon. Original problem was it just would not start on the 3rd day of a camping trip. A vw shop of some sort ( I wasn't impressed ) got it running, the guy claims, by 'cleaning the fuel injectors' . He made the van run, I'll say that at least. So I get it, and it's not running right. ( and he was too lazy or whatever to check the fuel filter - yet he charged 200 bucks to get it running ....and it sure was NOT anywhere near a full job of repair, not even slightly- too typical I fear. )

I did a spray pattern test on about 10 injectors ......the 4 on the engine , plus 6 other used ones I have. On the right side of the engine I found one injector just clogged. I also found the fuel filter pretty darn restricted. Checking for a good spray pattern on those injectors..........I found several that spray in a dense stream, instead of a nice fine spray, and some that dripped and leaked. I put on a new fuel filter of course, and with 4 injectors spraying properly ..........that van is running better than ever before. I guestimate that about 60 % of the vanagon injectors in service that are over say , 15 years old.........they're only working about 3/4 as well as they should be.

oxygen sensor output - very easy to check......... always check that with a digital volt meter, or some device to tell if the 02 sensor is sending the right info to the ECU.

grounds ? ..........always need to know those are good. plug wires ? ...........mostly they work fine, but leaking ones can drive you nuts and cause subtle problems, or big ones. I have numerous tricks for checking those, but always consider plug wires too , for running weirdness.

another tip - always check the basics. ( fuel filter is an example )

have fun ! it will be interesting to see what you find. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Collins" <tonycollin@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:23 PM Subject: Faint sputter/stutter at 70mph