Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:23:07 -0700
From:         Gary Bawden <goldfieldgary@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cross Country Travel Tips Wanted

Robert,

You might like to check out this fellow list member's site: http://www.faliaphotography.com/2009/02/i-love-key-west.html

She's a Westy full-timer with a lot of insights on many of your questions.

>>> - best places to park for safety when sleeping either in a parking >>> lot, side road, etc..

Here's my personal opinion on rest areas (no flames, thank you): Rating desirable places to sleep on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the most desirable, I would put rest areas at about a 7, somewhat ahead of the back lot of a popular good-ol'-boy bar - - unless that was your destination, in which case you'd be better off sleeping on the front seat of your pickup truck, not in a Vanagon! Why, you may ask? Well, while I don't go so far as to classify rest areas as death traps, they DO tend to attract predators. Statistically it's not very likely you'd be bothered, but there are better choices. :^)

Of course, once you're in the Western states, there is a lot of public land you can generally camp on for free. Stop at the first BLM or Forest Service info center you see and ask about their regulations, and maybe pick up a map of the area. It's really pleasant to find a spot to spend the night a couple of miles off the beaten track - - no traffic noise or lights, just the sound of the owls and coyotes... and check out the stars!

>>> How many hours a day did you drive?

The Vanagon has such comfortable seating (well, mine does, anyway), you can drive long past the time you should have pulled over for a break, without realizing how compromised your reflexes have become. Always better to drive for just a couple of hours, stop, get out, see some sights, have a sandwich, walk around, take pictures, whatever, then continue your journey. You can still make pretty decent time, and stay more alert by breaking up the trip this way. Professional drivers generally divide the distance in miles by 50 mph, to give a rough idea of your travel time in hours. Using a higher figure like 60 or 70 is unrealistic; you aren't allowing yourself any time for breaks. And if you're traveling through a mountainous area, figure on a lower speed. I realize I'm sounding preachy here, but we all want you back in one piece!

Anyway, I hope you have a great trip to Quincy, and don't forget the Vanagon Rescue Squad!

Gary