Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Apr 2009 18:37:16 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Shifter Adjustment Tips and Tricks requested

OK, the three week maintenance adventure is over - almost.

Problems: First there was the main crankshaft oil seal leak between the case and the tranny. Then there was the clutch slippage resulting from the oil seal leak. Then it was discovered the oil cooler seal was leaking. Then one of those oil cooler hoses - you know the ones that are bigger at one end than the other - leaking And there were cracked front and rear collector pipes

Gathering parts for all this should have been simple, but turned out to be an expedition. Some of the parts were problematic. A particular PITA was the flywheel bushing that held the pilot bearing felt grease seal in place. This part is not available from VW, and no one else seems to have them, and apparently no one cares. But that bushing holding that seal is crucial because it keeps the grease on the seal and prevent premature pilot bearing failure. I finally found one from a source who preferrs to remain anonymous, but it was a blessing.

While the tranny was out I got the CV's cleaned and new lube installed,.

All the work is done - no more leaks - water, oil or exhaust.

New problem:

New shift rod boots were installed. After hooking the shift rod back up, shifting is crummy. Can't find the gears half the time. I have to go part way through the gate to reverse before I can get it into first, then it won't shift into second from first. Sometimes I can't find first at all. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to adjust the shifter at the transmission. Nothing was taken loose up front - so surely the problem is not there.

Thanks,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver