Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:55:36 -0400
From:         Mark A Kippert <vanagon@KIPPERT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head Leak

A while back I posted about the same problem. My leak worked itself up to a very thin steady stream of coolant leaking once the engine warmed up. A few list member suggested Bar's Leaks. I found Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Fix and used it <http://www.barsproducts.com/1111.htm>. While it sold for $30 it was the only one that didn't have me draining the cooling system as part of the fix.

Since my temperature gauge didn't work and I was suspicious of my Temp II sensor, I decided to replace those first since I was going to have to drain some coolant to do it.

After replacing the both sensors I poured in the Bar's, added back the missing coolant, and drove around till the engine warmed up. My temp gauge worked now so I knew it was up to normal temp.

To my surprise, the leak went from a stream to just 4 or 5 drops in a minute. A day later the leak was gone. I've gone through a couple tanks of gas since then (my odometer doesn't work) and all is well. My coolant level is fine, my heaters get nice and warm and the engine temp stays within a normal range.

As a note, I did top off my coolant level once as some air worked it way out. When I looked into the tank I could see what looked like tiny cooper flakes in the coolant (not a lot though).

So far I'm satisfied with the results. Thanks to those who recommended the Bar's stuff.

Mark K 1986 GL/2WD/4SPD

PS. On a side note, to limit the air getting into the cooling system while changing sensor, I parked the van on an inclined drive (maybe 15 or so degrees). On top of that I backed it onto some ramps. This left my rear end way up in the air. I'd say the thermostat housing was about level with the top of my radiator. I think this helped a lot as I only had to top off the coolant once. I read this suggestion (elevating the rear) on some Vanagon site but don't recall where. And of course, block the front wheels!