Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:47:15 -0400
From:         Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: used Vanagon engine
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

you could always spend TONS more money and install a small honda generator with an electric motor connected directly to the input shaft on the transmission :)

i say honda, because they make some super-quiet generators~

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > for fuel mileage I would say you can expect around 19 to 20 mpg, with a high > of about 21 mpg on the highway, with a manual trans Vanagon. > As low as 17 mpg if you push it hard, like at 70 mph . >  You might consider in inline four, 1.8 Jetta/gold engine. > One guy on here runs that with a 5 speed trans in a fairly early vagabond > and he reports 23 mpg on the highway, and a one time high of 27 mpg. > those engines are plentiful and inexpensive, and if you use diesel vanagon > engine mounting parts, it's a bolt-in. >  I'll be installing a 16 valve version of this engine into my personal > vanagon when I find the time.  Should be a nice little engine ......123 hp > at 5,800 rpm. > > Subaru - a 2.2 Subaru engine will deliver 21 mpg with a bit more > .........I've had an engine conversion customer of mine report a high of 24 > mpg, fully loaded in a westy on a summertime trip to Colorado, including > high altitude driving, like up to 11,000 feet. > > oh yes....Bostig Ford Zetec engine ..........2.0 liters, inline 4, 16 > valves.........those should do in the low 20's I think, and better than a > waterboxer for sure. > > 'what you can use that's already there' - probably mainly the cooling system > stuff that's been added to change your vanagon  from air-cooled to liquid > cooled.....all that should transfer over, but seems to me not much else. > Scott > www.turbovans.com > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Michelle Garofano" <mystigal@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:11 PM > Subject: used Vanagon engine > > >> Greetings all! >> >> To you folks who have done your engine swaps and have an old (but good) >> Vanagon engine that needs a new home, I'm in the market, as it were (I'm >> in >> the Seattle area).  I recently purchased a 1981 Westfalia that had been >> converted to water-cooled with a Mazda RX-7 rotary engine... which gobbles >> oil like crazy & requires an elaborate ritual of maneuvers to get it to >> start... two things I'd just rather not deal with.  I'm looking for gas >> mileage more than power, and would appreciate advice on which engine >> (1.9L, >> 2.1L, etc.) gets the best mileage for hauling the weight of a full-camper >> Westy.  Since all the conversion gear is already in place for the Mazda >> engine, I'm also looking into what else might work with my current set >> up... >> though my recent experience (& research I've done around it) has soured me >> on rotary engines in general, and I'm not interested in going deisel at >> this >> point in time. >> >> Happy Travels, >> Mish >