Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:18:45 -0700
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head Leak
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

If you flush and refill every two years and use a sealant, you should be able to see more miles out of the wbxer. I have been doing it for over five years now and have not even had a weep, heater output is excellent and flow of cooling system is very good. I judge flow by how easily the system will bleed. A lubricated water pump really helps. I agree with Ken and have had the same experiences. There is a Samba thread going on currently with horror stories about Bar's Leak. Don't believe the hype. Most of the people with catastrophic problems had major gasket leaks before using a sealant and all had original heater cores and radiators that they had never flushed since owning the van. dylan ________________________________ From: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:46:07 AM Subject: Re: Head Leak Aluma seal is a good product that you can get at napa.  Or you can just use the plain old bars leak.  My 90 Vanagon's PO used it every year from when he first bought it until he sold it to me.  Never replaced heads or gaskets in 300k miles.  Still running OE radiator and front heater core so if you are worried about those getting plugged up I just want to say I have never seen or experienced this.  You want something that will also lubricate your water pump and renew your coolant additives besides sealing the seep.  Bar's Leak will do this I know. Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com John Rodgers wrote: > I found that orange stuff along a seam and some sheetmetal on my engine > today. No question but what it is comeing frm a head. It's aint much, > but it's there. > > What's the success rate with plugging this kind of  leak with some kind > of stop-leak additive to the coolant > > What would the list suggest as a good head-leak-stopper-upper? > > Regards, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver >