Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Apr 2009 02:14:05 -0700
From:         azsun99 <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      portable fridge (long)

I know some on the list have replaced the OEM Dometic 3-way fridge with the Vitrifrigo, but I am looking at portable units. I quit using the Dometic in my '90 about 3 years ago because it was not cooling well. I started using an old Coleman ice chest that has a separate ice tub that holds 25LB of ice (how many remember the old block ice dispensers, where you insert some quarters and out comes this big block of ice?). It is tied down right behind the passenger seat, and worked so well, I removed the Dometic and put slideout drawers in the space with room below for a porta-potti. And my Propex furnace is hooked up to the gas line where the Dometic had been. I am now thinking of re-joining the modern world and have been researching top-loading, portable fridges, especially those using the Danfoss compressor, same as in the Vitrifrigo. A reason for the new all-electric units is they don't have to be level (not always possible when stealth camping) and one reason for wanting to stay with a top-loader is a 75LB black Labrador who is often found blocking whatever door needs to be opened. Anyway, there are numerous brands, styles and sizes of portables, two of which, Dometic and Waeco, appear to be identical. There is also Norcold (Thetford), EdgeStar, Engel, FridgeFreeze (made in San Diego) and ARB (Australian). Oh yes, Vitrifrigo also makes top-loaders.

So, is anyone using one of the portable units, and do you have any comments?

And if anyone wants an extremely comprehensive (and long) report, with photos, diagrams, charts and comparisons, including the two types, Sawafuji swing compressor and the German Danfoss 12/24V BD35F/BD50F compressors, go here: http://home.iprimus.com.au/rfh/portablefridges.html Okay, it's in Australian and metric language, but still good info.

Jerry