Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Apr 2009 14:19:14 -0500
From:         joel walker <uncajoel@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: 85 Weekender FS

> Right, right, when I said, 'so it's an 85 Wolfsburg Edition Westy > (sans kitchen)' I was agreeing with you, right? Or am I still > missing > something? > That's someone else claiming that the Weekender term is > correct...........

the problem is, what 'folks' say and what vw said. :(

vw never used the term 'weekender' on anything but the 1985-1987 PACKAGE description for a non-poptop bus ... and the package consisted of only the fold-down rear full-bed seat. i know cause i had a 1986 bus with that package and it was on the window sticker. and they stopped using that package designation in 1988 cause the fold-down rear full-bed seat became a standard feature on the GL model (yup. had an 88 bus, too, with the window sticker)

nowhere on the poptops did vw ever use the term 'weekender'. that was someone a magazine came up with to describe the non-kitchen campers.

the poptop camper without the kitchen (fridge/stove/sink) was called a Camper, and had a VIN that had a different letter in it ...starts with WV2XB ...

the poptop camper WITH the kitchen was called a Camper GL (or Camper L for 1982-1983) and had a VIN starting with WV2ZB ...

what about a Multivan? it was sort of a Camper (non-kitchen) with even less 'stuff'. and had a VIN that started with WV2TB ...

the first instance of a WV2XB vin that i have is a 1984 highroof hardtop Westfalia camper in canada. all the campers i've collected prior to that are pop-top and GL or L models with WV2ZB vins.

in 1980, you can't tell by the vin ... all the buses have the same vin sequence start ... WV25A0...

so just cause gowesty and other retailers and used car lots call it a Weekender don't make it one. ;)

but then, a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. :) and since a vanagon is a bus is a van and so on, you can call it whatever you like, i guess. :)

unca joel