Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:20:12 -0400
From:         Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 Weekender FS
Comments: To: joel walker <uncajoel@BELLSOUTH.NET>

At 08:51 PM 4/18/2009, joel walker wrote... >an authoriative source that they did NOT use that term? >there is no such source as vanagon didn't bother to mention what they >chose NOT to use!

Very well. Your claim which I disagreed with and asked you to defend was:

>vw never used the term 'weekender' on anything but the 1985-1987 >PACKAGE description for a non-poptop bus

A single counter example is sufficient to disprove it. I can't find any links to VW literature, but here's a review from a major automotive magazine (C&D) which says you're wrong. It mentions a Weekender package on a 2001 Eurovan pop-top - "the Weekender package atop the MV ... earns you Westfalia's familiar pop-up roof"

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/7_passenger_family_haulers/volkswagen_eurovan_mv_road_test

>where do you come off stating that only dualport.com is >authoriatative, or even accurate?

I made no such claim (nor did I twice misspell "authoritative"), I said it "appears to be an accurate reproduction of the VW spec sheet." You have not pointed to anything which proves otherwise, in fact, a source you cite ( http://boltze.dyndns.org/terlinden/index_en.htm ) confirms that the dualport page I linked to IS an accurate reproduction of VW materials in regards to this matter. http://boltze.dyndns.org/terlinden/prospekte/usa/vanagon/1985_00_Vanagon/Seite11.jpg

Where do you get off putting misleading words in my mouth, and disparaging my sources, especially when they are verified as accurate by your own?

>how bout a genuine 1987 Vanagon brochure?

Like the one provided by your source which shows that a Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition doesn't have a pop-top? - http://boltze.dyndns.org/terlinden/prospekte/usa/vanagon/1987_00_Vanagon_GL_Wolfsburg_Edition/.tmp/640x480/Seite01.jpg

Or the one which shows that it does? - http://boltze.dyndns.org/terlinden/prospekte/usa/range/1985_00_Wolfsburg_Edition/Seite06.jpg

Or the one which has only cosmetic changes? - http://boltze.dyndns.org/terlinden/prospekte/usa/range/1989_00_Wolfsburg_Edition/.tmp/640x480/Page0004.jpg

If you would like to refer to a "1985 Wolfsburg Limited Edition Vanagon" or "1987 Wolfsburg Limited Edition Vanagon GL" or "1989 Wolfsburg Limited Edition Vanagon," feel free. It may be correct, but it's pretty verbose and not particularly informative without having a lookup table handy. Or maybe you prefer the "1989 Vanagon Carat," which had the same layout as the '87 Wolfsburg. Or a "1987 Camper" (no kitchen) or "1987 Camper GL" (kitchen).

VWs use of just the term "Weekender" is similarly inconsistent. In 1985 it meant "Folding rear bench seat with storage compartment, engine compartment cushion, center seat with folding backrest" (but no pop-top), in 1990 it meant a Westy without a kitchen, in .

Because VW wasn't consistent, and changed things often, it's useful to have terms which apply across model years. Hence, people call a VW van with a non-standard passenger layout, a "Weekender." And one with a pop-top, but not a full camper, a "Westy Weekender." Simple and well-understood, until someone starts confusing things by saying that this very widespread and useful terminology is "incorrect," as if VW used the terms in a consistent and meaningful manner.

>why? you're bandying "camper" around without knowing anything about >them,

Ad hominem attacks? Meh. You lose.

> and using terms that vw didnt' use. so why can't we?

If you want to claim that someone should say "1985 Wolfsburg Limited Edition Vanagon," instead of "Westy Weekender," that's fine, but don't then go on and call them buses and Westies.

You're simply being pedantic. They're correctly called "Weekenders," not because VW did, but simply because that's what almost everyone calls them.