Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:02:29 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: New 16" trailing arms

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Christoph Boltze <C.Boltze@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi folks, > > here some facts for the new trailing arms: > > - both side use the part is symmetric part > - material spheroidal cast iron 6mm > - for bigger wheels than 16" > - fits for 14" and 16" syncro > - price in Germany Euro 699,72 for one piece. > > available soon. > > Christoph

Christoph,

First off my apologies those on multiple Lists that I cc'd this to.

It might be more accurate to say that a newer replacement for the Syncro 16 trailing arm is available. Since it will be cast iron vs. stamped and welded steel it is not a direct replacement. If you changed only one side, one trailing arm will likely be heavier than the other. That can cause handling issues.

They appear to also be made by/for Seikel with VW approval or licensing. They may be dimensionally similar to the Syncro 16 swingarms but they are technically not Syncro16 trailing arms. Aside from the matter of licensing, it would seem to me the 16 arms replicated by several aftermarket suppliers out of regular trailing arms are more true to the original design of the 16 trailing arms.

Even of VW called them 'Syncro 16 replacement trailing arms', I would still see them simply as a licensed product. What was it that Shakespeare said? "...that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet..." That doesn't mean I would not buy it given the chance and the budget. I just want to call them as they are. They are a VW authorized part.

Thanks to both Florian and you for bringing this information to us.

BenT

ps: there seems to be a 100 euro difference in the price between the price you found and flo's. which is it?