Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:34:44 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Adding a baby seat to my Westfalia
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MTS.NET>

The stock seatbelt should work fine with an infant seat though your countries laws may have more stringent requirements. European laws regarding tether usage and positioning is different than US law for example. Vanagon owners needing a tether anchor have to either purchase a kit like you have or create their own. Tether anchors are not rocket science but do need to be securely attached as you do not want them coming loose in a crash. Adding the 3 point belts would be a wise decision that would benefit anyone whom uses your backseat. No matter what your laws say regarding when you can turn your child to forward facing the laws of physics still rule. In the US the child must be rear facing until at least one year of age AND twenty pounds. Physical developement of the childs body varies from child to child hence the one year AND twenty pounds rule. Ideally you should keep the child rear facing longer as it will offer the most protection. As your child progresses they will transition from a safety seat with its own straps to a booster using the vans belts. This is another area where size matters, if the childs knees are not at the edge of the seat allowing the legs to hang down they still need a booster. This varies between vehicles as not all seats are the same, a child that does not need a booster in one car may in another. When you secure your childs safety seat please do so correctly, up to 80% of safety seats inspected in the US are installed improperly. Among other issues once secured the base should move less than one inch when force is applied and infant seats have specific angles to adhere to as well.

Consult your owners manuals and governmental agencies for recommendations and laws in your area. In the US the NHTSB has a wealth of information available and a week long course for those whom wish to be certified in chaild safety seat installation.

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MTS.NET> Date: Monday, April 20, 2009 9:19 pm Subject: Adding a baby seat to my Westfalia To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM