Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:39:59 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cross Country Travel Tips Wanted
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com>

Answering all your questions would basically involve writing a book. We've all had great and not-so-good experiences when travelling, and what was wonderful for some folks would probably bore others to tears, or scare others.

What are you looking for out of this trip? Sightseeing? Adventure? Whatever Tieitup is seeking? It's all out there, and most likely, you'll find what you're looking for. Please let us know what you seek; we'll help you in the journey.

BTW, the Indians (Native Americans, if you prefer) probably don't want you free camping on their lands. IMHO, the energy vortex is a joke (but that's just me).

If you get to AZ, Jerry and I would be happy to bend an elbow or two with you, though I shouldn't really speak for him.

Karl Wolz

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com> wrote: > I know a lot of you have taken amazing travel trips in your van, do > you mind sharing some key tips that might ease the pain and make it > more enjoyable for me. > > I would like to hear about: > > Places to sleep during the trip across: i.e. > - free and paid camping locations, > - parking lot parking options i.e. walmart, > - Truck stop showering options and costs > - best low cost hotels. > > Best Places to Shower: i.e. > - KOA Camp Grounds > - State Campgrounds > - Truck Stops > etc. > > Best Places to Wash Up while on the road: i.e. > You sleep in the van the night before in a parking lot, have to brush > your teeth, wash your face and shave. > - Walmart Bathroom > - Target Bathroom > - Rest Stop Bathroom > - Small Hotel > - In the van with a wash basin > etc.. > > Safety when traveling: > - parking and sleeping in the van issues > - tinting window for safety > - keeping the curtains up when you are not around the van, good idea > or bad? > - covering the stuff you have in the van with blankets, good idea or > bad? > - best places to park for safety when sleeping either in a parking > lot, side road, etc.. > - items to keep in the van for first aid > - items to keep in the van for protection, i.e. bat > > Temperatures in different areas of the country: > - how much did it vary? > - were you ever cold? > - cold sleeping in the van? > > If you slept in the Van Did you bring a mattress pad? i.e. > - Memory Foam pad to put in the rear of the van to make it more > comfortable? > > > How many hours a day did you drive? > > Did you drive a long distance each day or take a couple days off here > and there? > > What the critical maintenance you did to the Van before the trip? > i.e. > - Spark plugs > - Oil Change > - Oil Filter > - Change the front disc pads > - New Coolant > - Tranny fluid change > etc.. > > What were the critical upgrades if any before the trip? > i.e. headlight upgrade to see better? > > What kind of issues did you keep a watch on the van while driving? i.e. > - coolant > - oil > - fuel lines > - belts > - tire pressure > > What extra parts or supplies did you bring in case something went > wrong with the van? i.e. > - Belts > - Coolant > - Plugs > - Oil Filter > - Misc Tools > > Most important tools to bring? > > > Best places to visit in each area? >  i.e. Sedona AZ- Go visit the Energy Vortex's > > Best things to do activity wise in each area? >  i.e. Go scuba diving or snorkling in Key West FL > > Best places to eat in each area? > > How long should a journey from East to West take to really see the > sites as well? > i.e. 1 Month at the minimum? > > Looking forward to hearing from all of your collective experiences... > > Robert > NY >