Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Apr 2009 06:51:56 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Sunroof for 'regular' van? Recommendations?

Hi all,

I have a non-pop, non-AC van and I'm interested in putting an after-market skylight in it. I am thinking one of those transparent tinted panels, right above the front seats, the kind that open up a few inches to a slant from one edge. I had one, installed by the previous owner, in a VW beetle I recently sold and I liked the extra venting and the veiw of the stars, but that one was kinda cheapo. It's hardware was crude and the rubber gasket was all cracked and dried up, the trim ring inside was kinda 'cheesey' too and it whistled and rattled driving down the road. Has anyone encountered a unit like that but with some better quality? Any 'favorite' places to look for that kinda thing? The type I have in mind installs almost flush with the outside of the roof so it doesn't interupt the air flow when closed and you don't really see it (again, when closed) when you look at the van in profile.

By the way, My almost full time van co-pilot, Jake the Chesepeke dog, really loves the new 'hatch-latch-extender' I fabricated recently after seeing some posts on them here on the list. The inside of the van stays much cooler with the extra cross-ventilation that new opening provides, and I can be even more certain (Jake is pretty intimidating to anyone approaching the van anyhow) that the contents won't be disturbed while it's parked.

Don Hanson