Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:28:18 -0400
From:         Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heads Up Warning on Garmin GPS Map Update

And to think in this age of cheaper and smaller storage devices with more memory, a company such as Garmin, who is one of the leaders in the consumer GPS field, can't just keep adding without deleting. (And hopefully implementing a smarter search function that takes into account GPS coordinates, not just names.)

My $.02 on this beautiful Friday afternoon.

Sudhir

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:20, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Michael Sullivan > <sandwichhead@gmail.com>wrote: > >> I have the Nuvi 750 and that is good info to know.  Will hold off on any >> updates, but do they say if they can fix this w/another release? Thx. >> > > I was unable to get any response from the cartography department at Garmin > even though they post their email address on the support site.  And the > responses from the regular support section were of no help at all, the usual > type that assumed that I didn't know what I was talking about and that I'd > made a mistake.  I finally got some help through a user forum and the > moderator of that forum that happens to be a Garmin dealer and had the right > contacts.  In the conversations that took place apparently Garmin > acknowledged that they had deleted many, many small towns from the map, > supposedly those with zero population.  They did this to improve searches by > getting rid of duplicate town names.  I've found one specific example of > this, the search on on town name yields about 10 or 12 entries across the > whole country in the old software, only four in the new. > So I don't expect this to change in future updates.  Maybe if enough people > complain they will restore that data, who knows? >