Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Apr 2009 16:47:34 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Westy Fridge Fan starting for the first time in at least 15 years!

Here's a little story....

Well last summer i installed a full westfalia interior into my sunroof van (which has a westfalia poptop on it). I did not wire up the electrics for the westfalia stuff at that time, but did have the propane system working. I had been running the fridge on propane and while it does blow out while i'm driving (I haven't made any effort to fix this yet), i am quite happy with it. Well, over the winter i wired up the electronics and installed a "second battery". I say that half heartily, as my current setup involves a 7.5ah 12v gel cell, as it's what i had lying around as was more of a "proof of concept" wiring to make sure my charge system and westy system worked. The battery does not hold a charge, so the westy systems only ahve power with the engine running. I had the fridge running on propane for the first time of the season yesterday, and when i started up the car i heard this fanatastic squeel. It sounded like my rear blower motor was dying, so i checked the switch and it was sure enough, in the off position. Finally i remembered that it was the fan on the westy fridge firing up for the first time in a while (The fridge is out of an '80 westy, that sat in storage for at LEAST 15 years, i have records of 15 years). The squeeling finally silenced, and i am extatic to say, my westfalia installation is that much more complete now! It really startled me when it came on, but i am glad it works. This should lower my fridge temps significantly.

Now on to bigger, and more Ford powered things : )

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY Recieving a BOSTIG conversion.