Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Apr 2009 01:58:01 -0400
From:         Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Suggestions
Comments: To: Todd P Last <Rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>

So as I see it for me I have a couple of options, I want something this is always available.

Here are the offerings from Mobil 1:

0W-40 10W - 40 High Mileage 15W-50

or

Castrol Edge 5W-30 They claim in their test against Mobil 1 that 8x better due to the fact that in their 100 hr test they beat out the Mobil 1 product: http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/why-upgrade/results (they claim it better than Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Valvoline Synpower and Royal Purple. http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/faq

Now mind you, I am planning on driving cross country in a month or two. So there is going be a lot of high heat areas, with lots of long

hot day driving. I can't imagine the temps to get lower than 40 degrees but could get as high 120 degrees.

What are your thoughts?

Rob NY ---------------------

I was thinking of using this one since my engine will be freshly rebuilt as of next week: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets key industry and car builder specifications for:

Mercedes MB 229.5 BMW Longlife 01 Porsche Approval List 2002 VW 502.00/505.00/503.01 GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline) GM-LL-B-025 (diesel) ACEA A3, B3/B4 API SM/CF Exceeding industry standards and the major leading builder requirements is the cornerstone of the performance reserve that lets Mobil 1 0W-40 keep performing well after conventional oils cannot. Mobil 1 0W-40 provides the widest range of protection -- providing the

extreme cold start protection of an 0W grade and the high temperature

protection of an SAE 40 grade.

Mobil 1 0W-40 Our lineup of Mobil 1 motor oils includes a 0W-40 viscosity, which is

the viscosity recommended by many European car builders. Mobil 1 0W-40's wide viscosity range provides unsurpassed levels of protection

and an overall smooth driving experience. Mobil 1 0W-40 keeps engines

starting in Arctic-extreme cold, and it cleans deposits, sludge and varnish often formed in high temperature operating conditions.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_10W-40.aspx Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40

As your engine ages, seals deteriorate, oil burn-off increases and sludge can build up, which can all result in a decrease in engine performance and, ultimately, reduce engine life. Mobil 1® High Mileage 10W-40 is designed to maximize engine performance and help extend engine life.

Mobil 1 High Mileage is designed especially for engines where

conventional oil has been used, and where these conditions have been experienced: Severe Service Extended Oil Drains Poor Maintenance Multiple Owners For engines where heavy deposits and sludging exist, we recommend initial oil change intervals of 3,000 miles as cleanup progresses.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 is designed for higher mileage vehicles and provides the following benefits: Extra anti-wear additive helps protect critical engine parts. Reduces the sludge and deposits conventional oils can leave behind. Contains a special seal conditioner to help recondition seals and prevent leaks. Higher viscosity formula helps reduce oil burn-off and leakage. Meets API SL/CF Here is something from the QA section: I thought Mobil 1 as a full synthetic already provided the protection

my high-mileage car needs. Do I really need to switch off Mobil 1 to your High Mileage product for my high-mileage car?

Mobil 1 High Mileage is designed for high mileage vehicles that have been using conventional oils. It's true that most Mobil 1 vehicles with 75,000+ miles should be in excellent condition and would not require some of the Mobil 1 High Mileage benefits. However, most cars

on the road today do not use synthetic oils, so we developed this oil

specifically for these cars that would benefit from switching off conventional oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_15W-50_.aspx

Mobil 1 15W-50 exceeds warranty requirements for gasoline engines where an API certified oil is specified. It meets: API SM/SL Requirements for Diesel Powered Vehicles where an API CF or API CD is

recommended Provides extra anti-wear additive for older vehicles

Mobil 1 15W-50 is formulated with SuperSyn, an extra-high viscosity synthetic fluid, plus extra anti-wear additive to provide extra protection for severe service applications such as towing, hauling and

racing. Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for high performance vehicles including turbocharged and supercharged engines where a thicker oil film is desired.

Mobil 1 15W-50 is also recommended for older valve train designs that

may benefit from a higher level of anti-wear normally not required for

newer generation vehicles. Mobil 1 15W-50 will also provide better anti-wear protection for higher valve spring tensions in certain racing engines.