Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Apr 2009 23:32:27 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Neil's WA/OR/09 Trip
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

Yes Jake. Yes it is. ;)

Thanks guys. Pretty happy to be at a point where I turn the key and go.

Next up: front door and/or window seals, acoustic insulation and maybe a sway bar upgrade to help battle the wind?

Neil.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > Nice beer that!  =) > > On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:02 PM, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Hi all. >> >> 3500 KM's over 11 days. From Vancouver B.C. to Fishermens Bend east, >> south, west, then home. >> >> Engine purred, no DTC's and only had start issues 2x. (not sure why. >> takes several sessions of cranking, then is fine. Rarely happens) Used >> very little oil. Brakes worked ok, but need to improve >> suspension/wheels so it's not as suceptable to windy conditions. >> Learned more about what I need in terms of camping etc gear, but all >> gear performed as it should. >> >> >> pics: >> >> http://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/WAOR09# >> >> Highlights: >> >> Yes you can sleep in a "Stop and Shop" parking lot. (yah I'm big on >> planning ahead ;) >> Great weather though sun spotty near end >> Not too cold, though there was snow higher up (5K Ft. + CG near Odell >> Bluff) >> As usual the OR coast was outstanding. Windy though. >> Met some great people. And some interesting people. Just after >> sundown, while trying to discern between what was private or USFS land >> south of Applegate, took a chance driving up a nice *steep* potholed >> hill. Met a "miner" who in explaining differences in local area, >> started in on his life story. Anyway, helpful none the less. Managed >> to bang my engine carrier, and lug the sh** out of my engine getting >> started on such a steep hill, in leaving his spot, but all was ok. >> (Yoko tires helped) >> Bear Creek  off of 42 (USFS IIRC) has a nice little creek side stop >> over. 24 hour max. >> Cape Blanca SP has some nice horse trails that served nicely as bike >> trails. Though when testing your bike braking skills, maybe not so >> much front brake. (broke my helmut. Glad I was wearing it). Beach >> access is a bit of a climb. >> USFS CG's along 101 priced higher than OR SP CG's. The SP CG's were >> much better value IMO. >> USFS CG's on rural hwy from Ruch to Applegate were closed (seasonal). >> Lot's of dirt road. I found it to be a waste of time. I gather some >> USFS CG's don't open til May 1 or later. >> Dispersed CG's near Kitson Springs (outside of Oakridge OR) seemed >> "hinky" to me. >> One Staples I tried in Olympia had free WiFi. Maybe all do? >> Riding your bike into head wind on wet beach sand, is difficult.  ;) >> Rice-o-Roni and cubed chicken is tasty. >> Marty at Foreign Auto in Coos Bay, is a helpful fellow and seems quite >> well versed in VW's and Vanagons. >> >> >> That's about it. Had an awesome time. >> >> Neil. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> -- >> Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" >> >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines > > > > -- > Jake > > 1984 Vanagon GL > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > > Crescent Beach, BC > > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27 >