Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:34:44 -0400
From:         Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Limited slip differential
Comments: To: colorworks@gci.net

Troy,

There was a recent discussion about limited slip and locker diffs with good comments from AAA Transaxle guru, Daryl. I'd ask him about the specifics to make sure the result meets your expectations. Apparently some limited slip diffs are effective up to only a certain amount of torque transfer and then they go open. I don't remember exactly since I skimmed through that thread.

On 4/30/09, Troy <colorworks@gci.net> wrote: > Hi folks: > > Just wanted to do a reality check here. I have seals leaking in my > transmission and got an estimate of about $600 to drop the tranny and > repair. I have always hated the one wheel drive, and probably will never get > a syncro, so I was looking at the Limited slip differential that the Go > Westy and small car sells. From what I understand from a guy in Bend Oregon, > who rebuilds transmissions, they lock up about 90% at full torque. So, not > quite a locker, but pretty darn close to it. With a good set of tires, I > would think this would get me out of 90% of what I would run into. A poor > man's syncro. I don't do all that much off roading, but do get into some > deep sand, mud and then ice and snow, but only for a brief time out of the > year. So, since I have to pull the transmission anyway, and the fact it has > about 130,000 miles on it, I thought it might be a good time to do a rebuild > and add the Limited slip differential. Tranny is starting to slip (cold) and > needs to be warmed up already. Not cheap, probably looking at $2200 + > shipping cost and install. More like 3K all said and done. Do you guys > think it's worth it? I'm already in over $20,000 with a Subaru conversion, > and plan on keeping my van for years to come, so... what do you think? Need > some encouraging words before I pull out the checkbook and put yet more > money into the van. Anyone have a limited slip in their van? If so, how do > you like it? Worth the bucks or not? > > 89 Westy, subaru 2.2 > > Troy

-- Sent from my mobile device

Chris S. Disclaimer: "Death and serious injury may occur"