Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 May 2009 07:04:44 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear Brake Shoe Design Questions
Comments: To: Rob <becida@comcast.net>

Brakes, and how they are 'tuned', that's a fairly complex subject that most drivers never need to know about, because their modern vehicles have some sort of Antilock Braking System (ABS) These systems usually work with some types of wheel speed sensors and a 'computer' that when it senses a wheel may be locking up during braking, quickly diminishes the braking to that wheel and increases the braking to the other, still gripping wheels. The more modern of these ABS systems will 'cycle' the braking power off and on to a wheel that's losing traction, much like we do when we 'pump the brakes' during a hard stop at the traction limit. There's an odd 'buzzy, pulsating' feeling when some ABS systems engage. Modern sporty cars are often 'driven by the ABS' in that the drivers just ram them into a corner at over-speed and let the ABS system control the direction of the car in the corner by it's electric brain sensing which end of the car is skidding and which has traction. This is closely related to one facet of the "traction control" they always talk about in Formula One racing... Below is a site with plenty of brake stuff, as well as all kinds of other useful parts. I used this company extensively when I was racing my Porsche and they are very good. Minn. USA, I think. The reference is to an adjustable proportioning valve for brakes like I used in my racer. If you are savvy enough to know how, you can adjust braking forces to match loads, track conditions, tire wear. brake wear, etc. You can also easily get it "wrong" if you aren't experienced at braking near the limits. For the question about 'big brakes' in front...You could and probably 'should' put a little more rearward brake bias into your system if you install better front brakes...But for a Vanagon, that may be a little over the top. The knob-style brake proportioning valve, you install between the front and rear system. At it's Zero setting, it is not changing anything, but a few turns will alter front/rear braking balance..up to the limits of traction..

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=4889

Since our Vanagons are pretty heavy, short wheel based and with a high center of gravity, I'd say almost all the braking is coming from the front wheels, and I'd say any braking in a corner is a No No with the Vanagon near traction limit. What happens is when you brake, the tires 'drag back' on the direction of travel, causing the 'bottom' of the van to slow while the top wants to keep going. This 'rotates' the weight of the van onto the front wheels. Leaving almost no weight on the back (hence, no traction back there either) So you could have Porsche Big Red Brembo 8 disc brakes back there and you still wouldn't stop any quicker... The trick is to 'balance' the system so that as the front wheels lock up, so do the rear...Of course, this is a laughable simplification of something that engineers spend lots of time to improve.. Anyhow, if you're a catalog junky like I sometimes am, check out the Pegasus racing website...(no affiliation with them) Don Hanson On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Rob <becida@comcast.net> wrote: