Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 May 2009 20:59:12 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid and Gear Oil Comparrison and
              Feedback please
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

The correct gear oil for the final drive is an 80w-90 or 75w-90. I use the Mobil 1 SHC 75w-90. My ATF of choice is the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Change intervals for both should be 30,000 miles.

Dennis

I am about to change my Auto Transmission fluid and Gear oil, just wondering what people are using in their auto transmission.

What product/viscosity they are using?

How many quarts are needed for the ATF and then for the Gear Oil?

I am looking at:

Royal Purple Gear Oil - Max Gear Synthetic Oil (not sure which viscosity is best thought of summer and moderate temps) 75w/140, 75w/90, 85w/140 Which one is right for the automatic transmission on a van in high heat long driving conditions?

Red Line ATF - High Temp Synthetic ATF http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=54&subCatego ryID=18&categoryID=8

Gear Oil ( Red Line) - 75w/90 Gear Oil? Not sure which is what I am suppose to use? http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=38&subCatego ryID=15&categoryID=6

Lucas Oil Gear Oil - 75w/90 http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=47&catid=12&loc=sho w&headTitle=%20-%2075/90%20Synthetic%20Gear%20Oil

Amsoil Gear Oil -75W-90 Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube Product Code: FGRQT-EA http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/fgr.aspx?zo=1132530 ATF - Automatic Synthetic Transmission Fluid http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Here is an interesting test and white paper done by Amsoil so it could be biased but it does show how the their product after some tests does beat out the others. http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearlubes/WhitePaper.aspx ( you can read it here without downloading) It can be downloaded with this link: http://www.modernoils.com/g2457GearOilWhitePaper.pdf

Can someone knowledgeable about gear oils read this and see if it's BS or makes sense. From what I could see it states the Royal Purple and Lucas oils have every high viscosity at high temperatures after a KRL 20Hr test but they claim that is not desirable to be compliant to the SAE J306 requirements for SAE90 Gear oil. I am a little lost and needs some interpret this please.

I am just trying to make an educated decision here.

Thank in advance.

Robert NY 88 Auto With freshly rebuilt engine. Tranny Rebuilt 3 yrs ago.