Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 May 2009 11:11:00 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Suggestions

In a message dated 29/04/2009 6:48:03 P.M. Central Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

This has been my experience. New synthetics do not cause oil leaks from softening old seals or gaskets. That is a thing of the past. Your other concern is not a concern at all with Synthetics. That's one of the benefits. The first number is for start-up so the lower the better if you in cold climates. It's the second number which is IMPORTANT, 50 weight should be in every VW waterboxer engine in North America ! I'm using Mobil 1 exclusively in my engine and my customers engines for a number of reasons. It is readily available everywhere in Canada, US and Mexico, important for travellers and it shows consistently higher oil pressures compared to other readily available Synthetic oils. There may be other BETTER oils but they are not readily available as Mobil 1. So what grade ? - 5w50 or 15w50 is what I find on the shelves. There is some story circulating that Mobil 1 is no loner being made in 15w50. Well, it that's true then there's a lot of old stock on shelves throughout Canada, US and Mexico. Trust me I have looked in a lot of stores over the last five months of travelling around, see the _BacalarBlog_ (http://poolio.net/bacalarblog/) . For me the 5w or 15w is of no consequence. Maybe if I stayed home and the temperature dropped to -30 Celsius and I had the 15w in the crankcase it would not be as good as having the 5w in there. But lately I tend to spend my winters in MEXICO !

Its also really useful when people include the temperatures that their vehicles operate when giving oil suggestions as this helps put the recommendation in perspective.

My goal is to find a synthetic oil that is the best weight for Seattle (Summer highs of 90 and lows of 50 and winter highs of 55 and lows of 25) that also includes some sort of zinc content. Any suggestions?<<<<<<<<<<<

Please note that I will be away from my business travelling in Mexico from November 24, 2008 until April 30, 2009. Parts orders will be processed although not as quickly as usual. I will always be available for contact by E-mail. If you phone your call will be addressed by Greg T. Brown here and he will either call you back or advise you to contact me directly by E-mail. Details of this adventure are at _Buses in Bacalar_ (http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/busesinbacalar/) . A Travel Blog is at: _Bacalar Blog_ (http://poolio.net/bacalarblog/)

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://frankcondelli.com/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://frankcondelli.com/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://frankcondelli.com/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://www.busfusion.com/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 11 ~ 14, 2009