Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 May 2009 18:41:28 +0000
From:         Jamie Fitterer <fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine conversion on 84 Westy
Comments: To: dhanson928@gmail.com

great explanation! I have spoken to smalcar and have to say just htem calling me back to talk is a huge step to me.

I am also going to start researching the bostig option and start putting numbers together.

Thanks guys

Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:38:55 -0700 Subject: Re: Engine conversion on 84 Westy From: dhanson928@gmail.com To: fittdog8848@hotmail.com CC: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com

Jamie, I don't think you're being a crybaby but then these shops who do conversions have to make some money. Yes, if and when everything goes exactly right and perfect, they probably make a bundle! But that 'perfect case'/ everything goes according to plan engine conversion is surely the exception. They have to charge enough to cover the times when bolts break off in the customer's van, when the Vans in for the conversion are POS! and all rusty or the motors are wrong, or some other complication has to be chased down and remedied before the customer is happy with the deal. You probably have no clue as to all the strange stuff that costs a shop $ that must come from somewhere... It's like trying to charge for a re-model in the construction trade...You know how long things *should* take..but they don't always work out that way and sometimes they can take 5 times as long, not because the fella doing the work messed up but because something that couldn't be predicted is encountered...Once you take on the job, you can't go back to the customer and say..."Oh, Sorry, but it will be 5 times more than I said to finish this up because -______ and _____ came up".. So these established conversion shops have to charge enough to average out a reasonable profit..The fact that they are still in business..that shows they've got it pretty close to right..If they were really outrageously overpriced, someone would be doing it for less and taking all the business. If they were under priced and losing money..well, I don't see many people who'll PAY to work on someone else's vans day in and day out. Good luck with it though. You'll still be 'ahead' with a newly converted older Vanagon than if you went out and bought a Sprinter or some other brand new 'vanagon' imitation. Don Hanson