Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 May 2009 13:04:41 -0700
From:         Lee Peterson <iridewheelies@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Help with poptop seal, ASI Syncro

Hello all,

I recently acquired a pop top assembly from an 83 ASI Riviera Vanagon Camper with the intention of installing it on my 89 Syncro.  I’ve cleaned up the fiberglass, plastic and canvas and replaced the rusty hardware and springs.  I was hoping to install it next weekend but I need some advice about the rubber seals.

The original seals between the fiberglass & the body and between the popup section & the base section needed to be replaced so I ordered 60’ of poptop seal from the Bus Depot.  The order was filled promptly and shipped to my house, but I’m afraid it isn’t the right kind of seal.

The original ASI seal was similar to the seal around the luggage rack portion of a Westy.  It was shaped like a “U”.  The new seal from Bus Depot has the “U” shape with an additional “O” shaped seal attached at the bottom of one edge.  I assume the BD seal is designed to be watertight.  The reason I think it’s the wrong kind of seal is that the entire ASI top is more similar to a Westy luggage rack than the poptop in that there are 8 drain holes that allow water to drain to the metal roof of the van.  It seems that the water is supposed to drain under the seal to the gutters and if the fiberglass is sealed tight to the metal roof, water will have no where to go.

I think what I should do is return the poptop seal to Bus Depot in exchange for an equal amount of Luggage rack seal.  Before I do I was hoping for some advice, especially from ASI Rivera owners who have replaced their seals.

Thank you in advance,

Lee

89 Syncro hardtop soon to be a poptop, hopefully.