Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 May 2009 22:36:46 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Surepower 1315, auxiliary fuse block,
              Progressive Dynamics charger,
              and Vitrifrigo installation questions
Comments: To: Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>

I have used these devices. The 1315 is a bi directional charge control relay. If either battery bank goes to 13.2 volt it will engage connecting the two banks together. This does allow a charger connected to the house battery to also charge the chassis battery.

The Progressive Dynamics de-sulphation or equalize charge will not cause harm and in fact is also helpful for the starting battery. Do you also have the "Charge control wizard" This is a really helpful add on for these chargers. I had the 80 amp charger in my last motor home. From experience, the equalize charge would peak at 14.5 volts. This was charging two golf cart batteries and a group 27 starting battery. National RV had their own design combiner that worked similar to the 1315 except the drop out voltage all the way down at 11.5 volts.

The 1315 does cut in at 13.2 and seems to drop out at 12.8 volts. During periods of high demand and low alternator output such as idling with the AC on or the radiator fan on high speed will cause the 1315 to drop out. This is lousy as during these times it would be helpful to have the house battery carry some of this load.

To get the best results the alternator wiring should also be upgraded. I like to run a separate #8 line from the alternator to whatever relay used for charging the house battery. Of course this can't be used for starting assist.

GM batteries have unique charging requirements. While they do need a shot to 14.6 volts for a full charge, this peak has to be for a controlled time period. AGM do not like frequent de-sulphation or equalizing charges.

I hope this helps, Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Harold Teer Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:31 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Surepower 1315, auxiliary fuse block, Progressive Dynamics charger, and Vitrifrigo installation questions

Loren,

Thanks for the response to my message about the surepower, fridge, charger, etc. Your thoughts are helpful and I am learning more by the day.

After reading a recent post about the 1314 I was worried I may have the wrong separator so today I spoke to someone at Smith Auto Electric (bought the 1315 from them at www.smithae.com ) about the 1314 and 1315 and explained my situation. He said the 1315 was the correct separator for the van and our application. Said the 1315 will not allow the starter battery to be charged from the auxiliary battery unless the starter battery is low. Thus, the Iota or PD with the smart charger will work its magic on the auxiliary battery.

Before receiving your response, I called Iota and asked a tech person what size wire to use between the 30amp charger and the auxiliary battery. He might have been being cautious, but he recommended #8 unless I had a long run, which I will not have.

Thanks,

Harold ___ Harold Teer 1991 Westy (Vangaux) Harrisonburg, VA