Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 May 2009 23:25:33 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Best Practices for Engine Rebuild Break In Process
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

No one on the list did anything to make me go away. I just got sidetracked with a lot of other issues and just couldn’t get my brain engaged. While my head is filled with all sorts of stuff it take a lot of effort me to put things into words and type them.

I also don't consider myself as "all knowing" or above others. I just have a lot of experience on things electrical and mechanical outside of the automotive world which gives me a different perspective of how some things work. I am also will to change, try new things, and accept my mistakes.

One thing I really like about the Vanagon community is the diversity of folks and how well we really do get along. I get enjoyment out of helping folks and this list gives me an opportunity to do that. I also have a fondness for the Vanagon and RV's and the lifestyle both can bring.

For those that may not agree with something I post, challenge me.

As for oil and filter choices. Yes Mobil 1 15w-50 is my choice for the Waterboxer especially for extended high speed driving. This goes against current wisdom for small high revving engines. High viscosity oils in high speed engines use up considerable power and create additional heat due to those pumping losses. Unfortunately the Waterboxer has some design issues which can cause the oil temperature to suffer thermal runaway and the resulting oil pressure losses. Thrown rod here we come. The higher viscosity helps protect from this. My other VW's Audi, and the Benz get the Mobil 1 0W-40 European oil. This is really great in winter. Almost no wait for warm up. Just start and drive. I have also experimented with this oil in the Waterboxer and under normal conditions or with an oil cooler it is fine. I have been able to get the oil buzzer going with it with some effort.

Note that there are two versions of the 15W-50. Normal and extended performance. Oil testing has shown that 7,500 miles is a good change interval for the Waterboxer. Nitration is the issue. My Fox can go to 14,000 miles with the TG or Mobil 1 filter. With the Mahle I had to change at 7,000 miles due to silica and wear metals. I have seen this in a few other engines including two Waterboxers. While those filters are quality parts, the media just doesn't support extended drains.

For antifreeze, if you think we have questions, go into the Diesel truck world. There you can get really confused. I am currently experiment with Fleet Final Charge. This is supposed to be good for 6 years or 600,000 miles in the truck engine needing one supplement at the half life. I'll keep folks posted.

Dennis

On the other hand talking about him like that might embarrass him and make him go away again. : / I don't take anybody's word as gospel, but with Dennis, or Mark D. and a couple of others, I'll generally take what they say as good until I discover otherwise- which hasn't happened that I recall. I usually go looking for other facts and opinions before settling on anything but with those guys it's generally been an exercise in redundancy. IIRC Dennis has made four mistakes that I've caught in the time I've been on the list: Two were typos, on one he reversed his order of statement of facts and once he posted at about four in the morning and left a phrase right out of the middle of his sentence or something to that effect. If you're not sure about the list gurus' advice it's at the very least a good launch point for your own research. By all means dig until you're satisfied... it's generally a good idea.

Cya, Robert