Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 May 2009 09:03:48 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Engine conversion on 84 Westy
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Thanks, it's real nice to see someone who understand something! You must have owned a business in your life :-)

This is one thing that got me... exhausted, cheap Vanagon owner who want everything for nothing, and i have seen may share of that. Today, i can spot them from miles away. Not to talk about the 4000$ that peoples owe me since i open the shop because i was to much of a nice guy.

I can tell you all one thing, for us (Hans from Vanaru and me), it's a passion thing... Especially for Hans in regard of Subi conversion, i can tell you that after quite a few years we are still struggling money wise. That is a fact. But we are getting there, slowly but surly. By the time i close my shop in 2 years i should be about even money wise.

You have very well explain the situation of a small, very small company that live out of a dreams and passion more than anything else, same goes for Bostig and i'm sure it was the same for TIICO, Fast Foward or any other small one who where passionate about Vanagon. But being passionate people are often not good business man. Just take Boston Bob story before and after! Talks to Daryl at AA, I'm sure he as a similar story.

I have been working on those vans for 5.5 years in my shop, 3 years at home and on my own vans before.

I plan to retired from Vanagon in 2 years. Do something more lucrative like restoring a 200,000$ collection car or even a sail boat. My girl will be done with her PhD and will make way more money that i'm doing now, for now, I work like a dog so she can end the long road she is in peacefully. And for those who know us, she as work in my shop for 2 years so we could survive, she as save my shop, with her money and time involve, she knows more about vanagon than 95% of you guys.

The fact that i live in the rust belt got me exhausted and somewhat discouraged. I had it! Rust, dirt and grease are a sad fact of VW vanagon. Lately, my hands heart a lot from small bleeding crack that don't have time to heal.

Even if i'm doing my 31th Subi conversion it's still somewhat of a challenge each time, but at least it's cleaner work.

In the case of a late Subi engine conversion, price vary a lot, sometime you make more sometime you make less. Instead of taking 10 days to do one i can do one in 5-7 days, but what about all the hours lost at the beginning... researching, tying, failing, starting over... The guys at Bostig knows what I'm talking about. It's a never ending story.

Now i would be curious to see how many REAL hours a DIY would put on a Subi conversion, in average, not the single case where everything went well. Even stock engine can be a nightmare.

I agree that Bostig is a nice option for DIY. But me, i really like the torque and power of the 2.5L. On top, it's very easy to push the 2.5L in the 200hp without Turbo. No Turbo mean one less part to go wrong on a long 10k miles trip.

A 160-180hp is a perfect power plant for an heavy van like the Vanagon camper and it's still very economic on fuel.

This week is a reflexion week for me, time spend working on those van, spent on my web site or on mailing list/forum... men that is a lot of hours.

I decided for many reasons to stop body work, i'm doing my last one now. I may do a few NON rusty one in the next 2 years but that's it! Same story with stock engine, i lost my machinist so I'm not going on bottom end no more, if i decide to do stock engine it will be rust free and only top end.

I have lost the battle with rust... no way to save those seam, and i have tried everything.

Sorry for the long post, but i have been writing here since 99 so...

Regards, Ben http://www.benplace.com/