Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 May 2009 12:28:04 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: To-do list while transaxle is out.

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Luke Bakken <luke.bakken@gmail.com> wrote: >> Given my recent problem with the power connector to my starter being >> loose, and based on recommendations from list members, I'd pull the >> starter and clean it up. > > Good call - did you do anything with the grounding strap from the > transaxle to the frame? >

I had a recent problem where my van completely lost power after driving 45 miles on a very rainy day. After having it towed to a shop, they cleaned and checked all the ground connections, including that ground strap. Some of the connectors were dubious, so they put new connectors on. The problem was probably due to water in the O2 sensor wiring I suspect, but the van's been running a lot better since they adjusted the valves to Boston Bob's specifications for this big valve engine. There was also, um, another, well, problem . . . the rubber boot connecting to the AFM was not tightened down at all . . . I can't remember whether I neglected to tighten it when I put the new AFM in. It's very unlike me to miss something that obvious. I'm one of those guys who doesn't believe that there can be screws left over after finishing a project; if there are, I missed something and will go back and find it.

I'm still having some lower than expected power issues. Having tested practically everything else, I'm intending to check out the injectors when I get some free time . . . The injectors were not replaced when I got the "new" engine, so they have about 160 K miles on them . . .

Marc