Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 May 2009 15:15:26 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: To-do list while transaxle is out.
Comments: To: Luke Bakken <luke.bakken@GMAIL.COM>

Luke, when you go to hookup the shifter rod, take a look at the point of connection. There are two (accordion rubber boots that go there to keep dirt out of the connection. Be sure yours are in good condition, or if not, replace them. When I replaced the shifter on the side of the transmission, mine were so flat I first mistook them ofr some kind of thick fiber/rubber washer. Only after looking at the ETKA did I realize they are an accordion boot. Also, you might take a hard look at that rigid mount piece right there as well - sor of a guide for the shifter rod. If it is worn replace it too. Ken has all this. I got mine from him. But Ron at Bus Depot also has them at good prices, and if you are hung up on chocolate chip cookies - Van- Cafe has the parts too. What can I say!

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Luke Bakken wrote: > Hello Vanagon list members, > > Some of you may remember my transaxle issues from last fall ... well, > I got it out last month and Daryl at aatransaxle is rebuilding it now. > Now that I have all that room opened up under the van I thought I'd > get some stuff done, like ... > > * repacking rear CVs > * replacing all the heater hose (I don't know if it's ever been done on the van) > * replace plastic coolant pipes with stainless ones > > I'm wondering what else a Vanagon DIY-er would do while their > transaxle is out? In addition, I've found some archived messages > concerning heater hose replacement and it doesn't seem like too big of > a job as long as you get the correct size and length replacement hose. > I don't suppose there's any obvious way you can tell if the heater > hose is original or not. > > All suggestions are welcome - thanks. > Luke > '89 Westy Syncro, 2.5L Subie > > >