Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 May 2009 19:40:26 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Digifant Fuel System Troubleshooting Experience
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

I believe there is a check-valve in the output of the fuel pump. Once pressurized.........the fuel pressure should stay there for quite a while ( engine not running, but pump has run and brought pressure up ) The pressure should stay there for days even, ideally. New pump sounds in order to me..........

and............I must say, how great to read a well thought out and properly pursued, *and explained* diagnostic procedure ! Now there is a poster that can be helped.........someone that includes plenty enough pertinent information, and their thinking process.......... AND !! - they write in complete and grammatically correct sentences !! So nice to see - though it might make me faint from shock. But really........a well written and educated sounding post .... with really good tech thought and info .........much appreciated, let's just say that.

re checking injectors - I just do the visual spray test as shown in the Bentley manual - it's super easy to do - just hang the injectors out of the engine, disable the high voltage ignition , jumper the fuel pump to run in the black box above the ignition coil........... and here's a nice trick ....instead of cranking the engine on the starter to fire the injectors, I either just pull the distributor and turn it by hand, or......even easier - just grab a spare distributor, pull the connector off the side of the engine's distributor, plug that into the spare one, and holding it in your hands, turn it, to fire the injectors ( key has to be on of course ) .

I went through 10 injectors recently - the yellow colored .........out of 10 I got only 4 used injectors with a nice spray pattern. That particular van passed a smog test just 'A + ' right after that. It has a good OE type cat on it too. We could/should be checking injector spray pattern much more often I suspect. Many of 'em are over 20 years old after all. A high quality fuel additive once in a while can't hurt either. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 6:52 PM Subject: Re: Digifant Fuel System Troubleshooting Experience