Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 May 2009 08:31:50 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: upper control arm bushings
Comments: To: colorworks@GCI.NET

Troy I think the Meyle brand is considered closest to VW OE (in fact identical). The main problem is that people incorrectly install them or damage them when they tack weld them. You need to tack weld very carefully and then immediately quench in water to keep it from melting the plastic bushings. Then never tighten the nut on the upper control arm until the wheel is on the ground as that can kill it as well. We sell the Meyle ones and I just installed them on a customer's van last week. No problems.

As far as testing your tie rod end that is very simple. Jack up the van on that side. Grab the tire on each side and try to rock it from side to side. If it doesn't move and the tie rod boot is good then your tie rod end is fine. If it moves then look at the tie rod end while you wiggle the tire. The end can go bad or the inner tie rod so see where the movement is. If neither are moving then it could be a bad wheel bearing. I have these parts in stock if you need them, just let me know.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Troy wrote: > What's the consensus on brand name for upper control arm bushings? I've read threads on the Samba that indicate one brand, while places like a certain shop in Southern California, swear by another. I just want to get rid of the squeaks, and not have them return! Prices seem pretty competitive regardless. Also, I know how to check ball joints for wear, but how does one check for tie rod end wear? Since I'm going to have to do an alignment when I replace the control arm bushings, I don't want to miss something obvious, but my ball joints seem rock solid, so can't see replacing them at this point. > > Thanks, > > Troy > 89 Westy > . > >