Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 May 2009 21:10:34 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thermostat soup: A comparison.
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

Does it overheat at idle only? If so then the thermostat is not the problem. If it was failing it would always over heat, especially at speed. You say the radiator fan is working. Does that mean it is cycling on its own? If it is turning on by itself that one more indication the t-stat is OK. When the fan is running, does the return become noticeably cooler than the feed? The radiator may be plugged or an internal baffle is cracked and the coolant is not actually flowing through it.

Changing parts until it works is rarely effective. Another possibility is that a prior water pump failure damaged the engine case and reduced capacity at low speed is the result.

Dennis